AcanLighting LEDs. Any thoughts?

well I didnt see where it says anything about the leds, but im assuming theyre not 3watts.

................INCH Whites blues watts
A101AC‐12B 12 108 49 40

no way you could fit 157 3watt leds on a 12inch fixture with passive cooling only using 40watts.
Unless they give out more specific info on the type of lights, I would assume this wouldnt work

heres the brochure for anyone interested in seeing this
http://acanlighting.com/images/downloads/new%20flyer%20revised%203-3-11.pdf

The A102AC, A103AC, A104AC uses so-called 3 watt LED bulbs with similar specifications as Cree XPG. Manufacturers who drive 3 watts to each bulb can potentially cut down their production costs by reducing the number of bulbs and lenses used, but this comes at the expense of reliability and efficiency. In contrast, in order to maximize longevity, increase longevity, and maximize lumens, Eco-Lamps only drives approximately 1 to 1.3 watts to each bulb.

The A101AC uses "1 watt" bulbs, but we've chosen to drive only approximately .25 watts to each bulb to ensure the maximum reliability and efficiency, and also to minimize heat generation.

We are closely working with a select number of top LED bulb manufacturers who are committed to developing specially produced bulbs most suitable for aquarium lighting. Based on our comparison tests, the high-quality bulbs used in our fixtures are superior for meeting the needs of reef keepers and more efficient than the bulbs from big name companies, such as Cree and Luxeon. this comments is kinda funny

Robzilla

That's what I have been lead to think. Are there some good models for my tank size (55g/ 48" long) that use these? I'm usually down for a good DIY but I think I'm going to pass on this one.

jpsika08

This are great option too, there is a huge thread over at RC just for them, even comparison pictures between these against Aquaillumination, their G3 model is the newest addition announced at MACNA 2010:

LED

Robzilla

^ I didn't see it, but do they have one at 48" so I can cover my tank? Those are surprisingly affordable.