acan has closed up????????????????

acans closed up need advice

i got these acans about two months back and set them in the middle of the rsm130d with two 55w pc lights. they have done fine until about two to three weeks ago when the both closed up like the pic. ive moved them to a few diffrent locations and had no luck. all of my params are fine and everything else is open and good.suggestions for some kind of an acan dip possibly???
thanks in advance

tank4-13-102.jpg

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
you say
all of my params are fine
What exactly are your test results? Something may be slightly "off".

What's changed lately?

How often and how much do you do per water change?

What salt mix?

What do you DOSE?

When any of my coral show visible signs of tissue recession I do several Iodine dips to try and help the coral out.

34 gal tank water changes 1 5gallon water change per week using red sea coral pro salt. i does purple up to keep ca up once per week if needed and kent marine essentials every other.i change carbon and a phos filter pad monthly. lights are 5 months old

ph 8.2
alk 3.6meq
mg 1200
nitrite and phos .1
nitrate and ammnia 0
cal 450
salinity 1.024
tested last sunday and its stayed fairly consistant

aaromano

Re: acans closed up need advice

my acans get pouty when alkalinity and calcium get out of balance. I noticed that if alk gets slightly high for my calcium reading they get a bit moody. Also if my salinity gets a bit high say i've been bad about topping off for a couple of days.

do spot feed 2/3 times a week. lately have been putting a cut off plastic bottle around them while feeding them to entice them to come out

Re: acans closed up need advice

ph 8.2
alk 3.6meq
mg 1200
nitrite and phos .1
nitrate and ammnia 0
cal 450
salinity 1.024
tested last sunday and its stayed fairly consistant

Nervoustime

IMO, Acans do better with lower flow and moderate lighting. Also, I would try to raise your Mg levels. As far as dips, I would recommend Revive.

joewell

Funny I have the same tank as you and the same issue! I did switch my salt mix two weeks ago but they closed up right before my WC! I actually just fed them and moved its location. It looks good just closed up!

I will try mg after work tonite. I did just switch salt from the rs that came with the max starter kit to rs coral pro salt, i thought it was the same exact stuff