About to take the Plunge into a RSM250, What would you do?

awolla

any thoughts on the 'aqua euro' 1/10 chiller...? it's up to 80 gallons, but is this a good brand?

awolla

Welcome. Good folks & good information in this forum.

Chiller: You can wait and see if you need a chiller. Also depends on where you live and your HVAC system in the home. In my experience, if your room temp will regularly exceed 72-74degF, then you may need a chiller. My room temp is 72degF and with stock equipment I get a tank temp of 79-80degF. IMO that's the max, so I bought a chiller. Plus it buys me insurance if my AC system malfunctions while I'm away on hot days. You can observe temps after setting up the system and decide later. If you do buy a chiller and plan to keep it inside the cabinet, buy an internal exhaust fan.

RO/DI Filter. This is the most important piece of equipment you can have. Don't start a tank until you have one, or be prepared to buy RO/DI water somewhere. Don't be tempted to run tap water no matter how "clean" you think it is. Worth every penny and it's great for drinking and horticultural purposes too. They have come way down in price over the years.

Heater: Most folks replace the included Red Sea heater b/c of reported reliability issues. No big deal, good ones are cheap. Jaeger is good.

Skimmer: Stock unit works well for me. Others have upgraded.

Other: You need a device to check salinity levels. Do yourself a favor and get a refractometer. Very accurate, cost: $$60-$100USD.
You'll need a test kit, good salt mix, sand. Lots of opinions out there on which brands to buy.

As you go along you'll want tools and nick-nacks like algae scrapers, in tank thermometer(s), filter floss, media products (depending on water conditions). glue or epoxy for mounting corals, foods, turkey baster, fish net, maybe gloves. There's lots to spend on but you can get by fine on the basics, especially in the begining.

Advanced: As some people progress, they add sumps, power back up systems, extra powerheads for specialized flow, etc. The list goes on and you can customize a RSM250 if you want to acheive a lot of different goals, styles and biotopes. But the stock unit is very complete and can be used as is, but most customize to some degree as they go along.

Good luck and have fun. This is a great hobby, enjoy.

any advice on the gpd or quality brands on an ro/di system?

GregT

welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members
745.gif

My 1st swt was a RSM 130D, I basically ran it stock, had such success with it & all my fish & corals, I bought a Beautiful RSM 250 & just Love it !

I run my RSM 250 stock too, I added a MP10 powerhead for additional flow, but didn't have to even do that, but I do recommend them.

I think it's the perfect 1st swt ! :dance: and the support of the RSM club, with so many having a tank just like your is such a plus - everyone here will help you have success !

+1 the RSM250 is perfectly fine stock. Keep it simple, imo be very patient with introducing fish i.e. 1 per month and you won't be disappointed

cheers
Greg

awolla

No chiller here, but Ive seen both of those brands being used.

I have a RO/DI from Air Water Ice - 75 GPD I think - I think the 10% off coupon is still good as I used it for filters not long ago:

http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums...tickies-listing-many-helpful-rsm-threads.html

Bulk Reef Supply is good, as is Filter Guys. Some get one off of Ebay and have seemed pleased with them.

thanks!@ i think i will go with this ro/di... only question is how do i get the 10% coupon? i can't find it... again thank you!!!!