About to take plunge with Marine and Red Sea Max

Forbesey

Hi to all
Not used to posting well except a letter in a mailbox. I have been keeping livestock for a great number of years now all sorts and even reached the heady heights of being a judge. I then took up fish keeping which I have been doing for the past 10 years or so. I have kept all sorts and along with my son breed Guppies I know but they do have a certain charm. Now after boring you all I will get to the nitty gritty. After much research I have decided to have a go at Marine and have purchased an ex display Red Sea Max from my L.F.S. took me a while to work out what LFS meant not stupid but of mature years. You can imagine my delight when I stumbled across this site and the forum for RSM see I am even doing it now abbreviating I mean.
Rights I intend to keep everybody informed on my progress.If I can work out how to include pictures I will. First off all here are some questions to begin with.

The tank was emptied of water and left in the shop before I purchased it.
No rock was left in but the sand was still there.
It then stood in my garage for some time as I was to busy to start.
When I opened the lid it smelt something awful
I managed to wet vac all the crud out of the bottom and it now smells off the sea or saltwater
I am nearly ready to go to the next stage but first I need to know the following
I would really like to clean it how do I go about that and what do I use
I have not even looked in the back as yet but I believe that it's still as it was in the shop all of the filter requirements still in place
Should I change all of them or just clean them or leave them but I am sure after this amount of time all the good stuff will be long gone.
The back of the tank has small crustations if that's what they are on the surface should I clean them off or leave
My plan was first off all take it in to the garden whilst the good weather in the UK is still with us and fill it up and switch everything on to see if its works and learn how it works Good idea or not please tell me
And finally for now this is a great site as I have just read the posts from I think her name is Lucy from Hemel Hempstead very good. If that's not your name then sorry but I did not want to go out of this to find your name as I was terrified I would lose all this info. Computers not my strong point. I live up near Oxford but have a daughter in Hatfield
I hope this gets on as I have not a clue what all the other things mean Trackback, Tags ETC Last thing is there a spellcheck on here if not then sorry for any spelling errors
Thanks Forbesey

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members
745.gif

Start a tank thread & share your tank with us so we can follow along, we love pics :dance:

Many clean with white vinegar

http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums...t-threads-you-can-click-your-screen-name.html

http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums...cks/80642-new-forums-rs-some-tips-tricks.html

http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/just-starting-out-sw-beginners/49019-acronyms-abbreviations.html

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Welcome to RS!! My answers are in red below.

When I opened the lid it smelt something awful. Pretty typical after sitting around for a while!
I managed to wet vac all the crud out of the bottom and it now smells off the sea or saltwater Excellent!

I would really like to clean it how do I go about that and what do I use Use a Vinegar and water solution
I have not even looked in the back as yet but I believe that it's still as it was in the shop all of the filter requirements still in place
Should I change all of them or just clean them or leave them but I am sure after this amount of time all the good stuff will be long gone. First we need to know what is in the back chambers. Is it all the stock bio balls and black sponges? Or has it been upgraded with a media rack?
The back of the tank has small crustations if that's what they are on the surface should I clean them off or leave I would clean them off
My plan was first off all take it in to the garden whilst the good weather in the UK is still with us and fill it up and switch everything on to see if its works and learn how it works Good idea or not please tell me Great idea! First pull all the pumps, take them apart and soak them in a vinegar solution to clean them up. Put them all back together and reinstall them in the tank.
And finally for now this is a great site as I have just read the posts from I think her name is Lucy from Hemel Hempstead very good. If that's not your name then sorry but I did not want to go out of this to find your name as I was terrified I would lose all this info. Yes, her name is Lucy aka Soupylou and her thread is here: http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums...tion-patience-new-red-sea-max-130d-owner.html Computers not my strong point. I live up near Oxford but have a daughter in Hatfield
I hope this gets on as I have not a clue what all the other things mean Trackback, Tags ETC Last thing is there a spellcheck on here if not then sorry for any spelling errors
Thanks Forbesey

Start a tank thread here so we can follow along and help you out:
http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/red-sea-max-owners-club/

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Hi Forbesey :wave:
:welcomera WELCOME to Reef Sanctuary!
Glad you found it & joined...You are in the right place here for great RSM help.
Use lots of patience and don't rush the cleaning job. I think a mixture of white vinegar & water should help you remove & clean up the tank. Which size model is your RSM?
I think you're going to L:heart:VE your new adventure into saltwater, you got a good tank & lots of members here to cheer you along! I too started out with guppies as a child :yup:
BEST WISHES :biker

Soupylou

Hey Hey!

Bless you for reading my rambling thread - welcome to the forum. I am pretty new to marine fish keeping myself after keeping tropical fish in my Biorb life tank. I went to buy the marine conversion for the Biorb Life range:

enyba8yt.jpg

luckily ended up googling & realised it be very bad move.....phew!

Luckily my parents are sweeties, and bought my tank for my birthday. So here I am, I'm going ultra slow, while soaking up as much information as possible, but will order my clean up crew, once my Aclimate arrives from USA.

You have made very wise move in signing up here, and don't be scared to ask any questions, even if it appears basic.

We can help each other out, even if you said I was from Hemel Hempstead aka Heme lite (no offence Karl, if you're reading this).

Everyone here, is sooo helpful :)

Good luck and I will be following this thread with great interest.