Aaron & Anna's RSM 130 Adventure

Monkeyboy

This is day one of my new RSM 130 project. I have live rock and some live sand. Just waiting for it to do it's thing before the clean up crew get recruited.:turntable

Attachments

• Day one.jpg
    Day one.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 370

Dweezil

Re: Aaron's RSM 130

Congratulations! This time will seem like it takes forever but before you know it you will have a beautiful tank and wonder how you will make room for more :)

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM

:welcomera - good to see you found us other RSMers! Thanks for starting another tank thread we can follow. :) Lottsa RSM help here so ask away - no such thing as dumb questions here - we all started like you did.

JimmyJ

Welcome to RS and congrats on getting started with your RSM. Looking forward to watching your tank progression. Really great and knowledgeable people here on this site.

Setragni

Welcome to RS, you will soon find out thatit is full of nice people here ready to help you out. Congratulations it looks like a good start. Ill be here following your tank thread. :)

Monkeyboy

Right i know i'm getting a little ahead of myself but once my tank has finished cycling do any of you have suggestions on what my clean up crew should consist of and in what kind of quantities?

Cheers

Aaron

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM

I'd wait and see what develops concerning brown diatom and green algae phases. That will help determine what type of snails. etc. you need. If you don't get much algae you don't want to get a huge CUC right away, or many will starve.

How's the cycling going? Did you use dry rock, uncured or cured live rock? Any ammonia, nitrite or nitrate showing up?

Monkeyboy

Hi i have a about 3-4kg (7-8lb) of Ocean rock and 7.5kg (16.5lb) live rock as it stands (cured) as well as a little live sand. I only put it in yesterday so i'm going to test tonight when i get home from work. I will post results. Thanks for the reply concerning the C-U-C.

When should i start running the skimmer and lights?

Aaron

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM

Aaron - you're welcome! The skimmer may not produce anything with so little organics in the tank to provide a stable foam, but since they take a while to break in you could run it now. If you've added any bacterial additives leave it off for a couple days after that. As with everything else in this hobby you'll get differing opinions on skimming during cycling. Some say do, some say don't.

Here's an interesting article on some things you might have questions about. There's a small piece on hermit crabs too:

Reefkeeping 101 - Bogus Information - by Tom Murphy (aka WaterKeeper) - Reefkeeping.com

You'll most likely get a bout of brown diatom algae showing up first - on the substrate & rocks. It may look ugly but it's a phase almost all of go through with a new tank. It thrives on silicates and light, but has to run it's course. You can limit it a bit by running the lights at about 6 hours for a while.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF

Aaron - Your off to a nice start !

143.gif

Monkeyboy

Right here we go my first set of test results are back. Ammonia 0.25 ppm Nitrite 0 ppm and Nitrate 5 ppm. The temp fluctuates a little between 25 C and 25.4 C does this matter?

Cheers

Aaron

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF

The temp fluctuates a little between 25 C and 25.4 C does this matter?

not to worry about - while cycling or really anytime... imo - the oceans vary that much through out the day - every day

Cheers !

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM

+1 on Glenn's info.
Are you using Red Sea tests? They're not very accurate, and have led many to believe their cycle would never end, due to inaccurate ammonia readings that never get to zero. API and Salifert are better tests, as well as some other brands. Just a heads up if you never see that ammonia or nitrite reading get to zero.

Monkeyboy

Hi thanks for the heads up. I'm actually using the API test kit so hopefully getting pretty accurate results.

Another quick question should i remove the bio filter material? I've read in various places of people doing it.
Cheers

Aaron

JimmyJ

Hi thanks for the heads up. I'm actually using the API test kit so hopefully getting pretty accurate results.

Another quick question should i remove the bio filter material? I've read in various places of people doing it.
Cheers

Aaron

+1 on the API test, very nice

I am still bit of a newbie myself, I have had a swt before in the past but this is my first reef tank and about 5 weeks into it and can tell you that I removed my ceramic media beads based on what a lot of others did and advised. Since your live rock will be act as your bacterial filter there would be no need for the media beads since you will end up having to rinse them every so often to keep the level of nitrates down. I built a DIY media rack (link in sig) to get the carbon (or whatever type of media you plan to use) off the bottom of the return pump chamber to help with the flow.