A whole bunch of critters

Oxylebius

Yes, that is a sponge. Usually these sponges aren't a worry to have as they are good filter feeders. But, I'd watch the growth of that sponge, it might compete for space and overgrow your coral polyps that it is next to.

And either Chaetoplerid or Vermetid, likely vermetid.

DaveR11

Is this slugs rhinopores smooth or rough? I think I've narrowed it down, but need to know the answer to this question.

BTW, any chance you know where in he world your live rock came from, would help narrow down the search on hitchhikers.

And yes, post the white gelatinous growth on here as well. Could be sponge, tunicate, or something else.

Hi Oxy,

Just been looking at when I bought things (I'm trying to keep a log). The initial rock is all 'Real Reef' fake live rock and according to their website should have no HHers. The first 'macro' life I added to the tank was a couple of hardy corals include grapefruit sized rock with GSP on it. This is shown in the first post on here and had lots of life on it. This came from my favourite LFS and was in one of their shallow coral tanks. Talking to the manager he had seen a number of small slugs matching the description of my two in that tank.

I had been after a couple more pieces of rock to bulk up the scape and visited another LFS a week later and picked up two nice irregularly shaped lumps. Once they had settled in the tank they clearly had lots of life on them too with a couple of different tube worms, some lovely coraline algaes and a couple of Aiptasia. I would have to ask the second LFS where their rock comes from.

Many thanks,

Dave

Last edited:

DaveR11

Okay, I believe you have a slug from the Limapontiidae family. These sea slugs resemble nudibranchs of the Tergipedidae family (Aeolidina), but are not closely related to them. Most of the species from the Limapontiidae family are green because of the green they eat and live on.

My reasoning behind this:

Limapontiidae(s) are generally small; less than 20 mm crawling length. They usually have a slender, tapering body which may be concealed by a profusion of cerata, (your slugs body is tapering anteriorly). The anterior edge of the foot is rounded, or rarely, tentacular (your slug has this). Rhinophores long and fusiform, reduced, or absent. Rhinophores sometimes have a lateral groove at their base. (Your slug has modified rhinophores, horizontal flaps or lamellae). The cerata are fusiform, and variable in size and shape - from long and slender to short and stout - and they may be numerous to completely absent. (your slug has globular). Eyes behind rhinophores, usually in clear patches (can't see your slugs eyes in pic very well, but it does look like they are right at the base behind rhinophores).

Tergipedidae Aeolidina(s) are mostly a small species, although some may be longer than 50 mm crawling length. They have an elongate body that tapers posteriorly (yours doesn't, your slug has consistent body size/shate and does not taper posteriorly or anteriorly) and the oral tentacles and rhinophores are usually long and smooth (yours is not smooth). But, the cerata is usually tubular and arranged in single oblique rows on each side of the body, (your slug has cerata on sides in rows).

You will need to confirm all this since you've seen the slug in person. What are your thoughts on this ID? Do you concur with my comments? I'm not 100% on this slug, but close to it.
-- If you believe it from the Limapontiidae family. Then keep it, it's an algae eater.
-- If you believe it a Tergipedidae family (Aeolidina), you need to pull it out. These are carnivorous, eats hydroids (corals, etc.).

Hi Oxy,

Yes I concur with your ID. I have only seen this slug twice, both times on the glass hence a good shot from below and a poor shot from the side. I will keep a good eye on the rocks to see if I can get a good photograph from the side or above, either than or I will net it out and put it in a small bowl. My eyesight close in is not what it was when I was a zoology undergraduate so looking for lateral grooves in Rhinophores or eyes is going to require either a good photo with my macro lens or using a hand lens which will require getting the slug in the right position! I just need to find it again now! At least I have a good idea of the characteristics to look for to get a good ID.

Many thanks,

Dave

DaveR11

Okay, I believe you have a slug from the Limapontiidae family. These sea slugs resemble nudibranchs of the Tergipedidae family (Aeolidina), but are not closely related to them. Most of the species from the Limapontiidae family are green because of the green they eat and live on.

My reasoning behind this:

Limapontiidae(s) are generally small; less than 20 mm crawling length. They usually have a slender, tapering body which may be concealed by a profusion of cerata, (your slugs body is tapering anteriorly). The anterior edge of the foot is rounded, or rarely, tentacular (your slug has this). Rhinophores long and fusiform, reduced, or absent. Rhinophores sometimes have a lateral groove at their base. (Your slug has modified rhinophores, horizontal flaps or lamellae). The cerata are fusiform, and variable in size and shape - from long and slender to short and stout - and they may be numerous to completely absent. (your slug has globular). Eyes behind rhinophores, usually in clear patches (can't see your slugs eyes in pic very well, but it does look like they are right at the base behind rhinophores).

Tergipedidae Aeolidina(s) are mostly a small species, although some may be longer than 50 mm crawling length. They have an elongate body that tapers posteriorly (yours doesn't, your slug has consistent body size/shate and does not taper posteriorly or anteriorly) and the oral tentacles and rhinophores are usually long and smooth (yours is not smooth). But, the cerata is usually tubular and arranged in single oblique rows on each side of the body, (your slug has cerata on sides in rows).

You will need to confirm all this since you've seen the slug in person. What are your thoughts on this ID? Do you concur with my comments? I'm not 100% on this slug, but close to it.
-- If you believe it from the Limapontiidae family. Then keep it, it's an algae eater.
-- If you believe it a Tergipedidae family (Aeolidina), you need to pull it out. These are carnivorous, eats hydroids (corals, etc.).

Hi Oxy,

Well after weeks of no sightings I spotted this tonight in my new Zoa colony. The Zoas were closed up but I don't think it was the slug. I think it was the big cleaner shrimp (he/she gets everywhere) and they opened up again with the slug still amongst them. I have other Zoas in the tank and none show any damage.

Here is a close up of the rhinophores and tentacles.

Then I saw this. At first I thought it was one of my Stomatella snails but looking at it on the computer (rather than squinting at it through my glasses) I'm wondering if it is not another slug. Sorry no better shots as it disappeared into the polyps....

DaveR11

Got another one for the growing HH list @Oxylebius . I've seen a few of these now on the front and side glass of the DT. They are small - the biggest was maybe 6-7mm long. This one seemed to be browsing on the algae I had yet to clean off the glass....

Dorvilleid worm?

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
+2 here another example - he is in the polychaetes family like bristleworms

Dorvilleidae.jpg

DaveR11

Dave I can't see him well (actually didn't see him at all...) but if I am seeing little appendages...cerata - might be a zoa nudi... checkout this thread... and see what others... think

"Why are my Zoanthids closed?" - Care, Pests, and Troubleshooting

Thanks Glenn, I had wondered about that but I'm not seeing any damage to my Zoas, which so far are spreading well. My lovely new green one has gone from 9 to 13 polyps in a month. I am watching closely though!

Oxylebius

That's a Aeolid nudibranch. You need to pull it out. Look for any eggs as well. Aeolids usually feed on Cnidarians (sea anemones, corals, gorgonians, and jellyfish). So, if it isn't eating your zoas, it is probably looking for some other coral.

The only good Aeolid is the Berghia, which goes after aiptasia.

Last edited:

DaveR11

That's a Aeolid nudibranch. You need to pull it out. Look for any eggs as well. Aeolids usually feed on Cnidarians (sea anemones, corals, gorgonians, and jellyfish). So, if it isn't eating your zoas, it is probably looking for some other coral.

The only good Aeolid is the Berghia, which goes after aiptasia.

The just the animal in the third photo or are both slugs a danger @Oxylebius ?

Oxylebius

The three pics on post 26 are of the same slug, right?

Keep the Elysia, that was identified a while ago.

DaveR11

The three pics on post 26 are of the same slug, right?

Keep the Elysia, that was identified a while ago.

No, definitely different slugs @Oxylebius . The first 2 pictures were one animal, the third picture is a second animal much smaller than the first one. I had initially thought it was a Stomatella snail (my eyesight in getting worse close in). I didn't realise it was a slug until I got the pictures into the computer.....