A Picture A Day......

Tigersref

14741751455_48a74b8ca2_h.jpg

14738580801_49d0052ebc_h.jpg

Oxylebius

Fish peeking around the corner of some shells, mouth full of sand, it sees you sneaking up on it with a camera and you can practically see the fish thinking, "What are you doing with that camera? Can't you see I'm busy here? Go away and leave me alone, I'm not gonna spit out this sand until you do!"

sirrealism

Nope. its a Wonderpus. Yes that the real name. Very close to a mimic but a little smaller and colors are just a little different. Sorry pics are taken with my phone so they kind of bad. I do not suggest anyone to get one of these as very little is known about them and wild numbers seem very small. I have done a lot of work with Tonmo and study cephalopods. I rescued this one from a tank full of fish which is a big no no. I have kept 9 octo and 5 different species. I also do not suggest anyone keeping blue ringed octos also because they are very poisonous and the hospitals do not and can not get an antidote. There are plenty of people who do keep them and they are one of the most friendly octos and do not bite often but if they do its over. When most people find out that there life span is so short they dont want to keep octos anyway. Most of the octos kept live for just over 1 year birth to death and most of the time when you get one they are 6 months old already so you get 6 months if your lucky with them and they pass. We are working on captive breeding for multiple reasons
I know its supposed to be one pic a day but here is a couple more of my Wonderpus

I am sorry for breaking the rules. I felt most have not seen one of these so I wanted to share. if you want to see more check out my vid on youtube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPOrf0pAegc&list=UUyXOq-yvZ4TdmooDtH4dTyA

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
This is RS (a sanctuary of reefing forums) cheers for sharing, this is a fun thread - with lots great pics, an extra one is only welcomed ! Very Cool !

[video=youtube;SPOrf0pAegc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPOrf0pAegc&list=UUyXOq-yvZ4TdmooDtH4dTyA[/video]

Kremlin

Nope. its a Wonderpus. Yes that the real name. Very close to a mimic but a little smaller and colors are just a little different. Sorry pics are taken with my phone so they kind of bad. I do not suggest anyone to get one of these as very little is known about them and wild numbers seem very small. I have done a lot of work with Tonmo and study cephalopods. I rescued this one from a tank full of fish which is a big no no. I have kept 9 octo and 5 different species. I also do not suggest anyone keeping blue ringed octos also because they are very poisonous and the hospitals do not and can not get an antidote. There are plenty of people who do keep them and they are one of the most friendly octos and do not bite often but if they do its over. When most people find out that there life span is so short they dont want to keep octos anyway. Most of the octos kept live for just over 1 year birth to death and most of the time when you get one they are 6 months old already so you get 6 months if your lucky with them and they pass. We are working on captive breeding for multiple reasons
I know its supposed to be one pic a day but here is a couple more of my Wonderpus

I am sorry for breaking the rules. I felt most have not seen one of these so I wanted to share. if you want to see more check out my vid on youtube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPOrf0pAegc&list=UUyXOq-yvZ4TdmooDtH4dTyA

Thanks for the clarification. Really cool octo!

sirrealism

Kremlin. Your very welcome. Thanks every one for all the likes on the pics and vid. I am happy to share. Baby was the name of the Wonderpus. The fact that I kept it alive for 6 months which as far as I know the second longest lived Wonderpus in captivity. I was also the first to ever try to keep a sand sifting Goby with one which I believe was the reason for the long life she had "Long for a Wonderpus" The goby would dig a hole and the octo would use that hole to catch food in or to sleep in. In the wild these octos live in the mud bottom. They dig a cave. In a tank a few different muds have been tried but have not worked and with sand it will fill back in over a few days. so the 2 had kind of a symbiotic relationship where the goby dug caves for the octo and the octo did not eat the goby