A new tank for Dave

mbdave

Hello all, it's me good ole Dave.
I'm tearing down my 2 tanks I have right now because they are just AWEFULL!!. I set them up when I moved and between moving, job change, 25th wedding anniversary, son leaving the Coast Guard and coming home, blah, blah, blah, they are just terrible and under loved. Well later today the Rubbermaid trough will get filled and the tanks will get cleaned and sold and a smaller, easier to keep, less crowded, tank is going to replace them. "With what you ask"? Well this tank Mr. Aqua Rectangle Frameless Glass Aquarium Tank I will drill the tank and install a Calfo overflow and a hole for return, it is going on an oak kitchen cabinet from Home Depot that will be modified greatly to accommodate the tank. . The cabinet is going to actually be larger than the tank base so I have more room in the stand and an area around the tank to set equipment and such during testing and cleaning. The skimmer will be my SWC a 160 I have had for a while, the circ is MP-10 wireless pumps, and the light is this
Hamilton Cayman Sun Reflector DE HQI 14K System
The sump is big enough to have a large area for algae growth and I'm planning to have another sump to keep an undisturbed sand bed which I have always wanted to try if later it is useless I can just unhook it but I believe it will have its purpose.
I’m keeping a few corals from my tanks now and plan on going back to SPS for the most part except for the 2 LPS I keep my hammer and my torch, both very nice and a few heads from my Duncan whiskers. I’m picking up the cabinet Mon. and will start posting pic’s. So if you’re interested here it is if you have suggestions I am always open:D

Dave

Uslanja

Hi Dave! We like the looks of the frameless tanks and we have become halide fans as well. Its going to be a nice build! Looking forward to seeing the photos! If you put it in a chronicle then we can keep checking in and see how you're making out! Good Luck!

mbdave

The tank is just over 33 gallons,
Yeah I have used halides allot over the years they can't be beat.
I will post pic's for all.
Thanks for the support.

mbdave

I never really left just got overwhelmed with other things:) I tore down the 70 last night it felt good to get it down it was just disgusting. I lost several very nice "and high dollar" corals this last summer due to overheating, I have a chiller but could not use it due to it tripping the breaker and me having no time to pull new wires. But 2 Aussie scolymias are gone, a great cynarina, and a goniastrea, sad but true they got hot, then bleached in a few days and never recovered. The only good things were my softies loved the crappie tank and my fish thrived in the pod infested algae.
Now I have to decide what I want to keep and what to sell. :(

mbdave

Terry I was so disgusted with the tank "and myself" all I would do is top off, feed, and then leave my man cave... With this tank the amps will be low enough to run the chiller and less capacity so it will make a big difference.

Hows you and the wife?

mbdave

Well not much to report just waiting for the tank to get here which should be thurs. So this weekend I will start building the stand. Ihave a choice to make on what old corals to keep I want the new tank to be majority sps so the aussie torch and hammer when I get pictures are going up for sale and some other stuff. I can use the funds to get a calcium reactor or acros.
Who here is using the carbon beads? I would sure like to hear how they work or don't work.

mbdave

All right! Tank arrived today and wow, was it ever packed well.

2010-11-30_15-21-16_244-1.jpg

There's the top of the box packed with a load of foam.

2010-11-30_15-27-41_663.jpg

And here is the tank with a bucket to give a size guide. The edges are nice and beveled and even. I read the reviews and some complained about those things but its fine. Now to drill :D Hopefully it goes well.
If time permits I will start the stand this weekend, The plan is having three sides for viewing something I have wanted for sometime.
:snowski:

mbdave

Sorry I have not had time to get pic's, I really need to hang it over my tub first which has not happened :(

mbdave

So busy, Well here is a pic of the light,

Light.jpg

And some of the overflow hole drilling,

Bracetaped2.jpg

Initially I taped the brace down like I have in the past.

drillbraced.jpg

But later I changed to clamps and it worked much better.

Me.jpg

Me in the process of drilling :)

Bothholes.jpg

Two hours later, "thick glass" the holes are drilled!

bulkheads.jpg

Bulkheads fit fine and monday I will start building the overflow box.