A fresh light forum

Hey everyone its me again! well its me newaz. so im in the process of upgrading my 75gallon planted aquarium. yesterday i got new glass hoods for more lighting options but what im goin for is a t5ho setup just wondering if anyone has any thoughts. matt?? lol

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
Haha. U staying planted or reef.

..........tequilla is not my friend anymore

its gonna be a planted. i also picked up some good substrate which i'm gonna switch out the other useless gravel for a nutrient rich florite and eco-complete stuff. iv read nothing but good things about it. the RSM is enough salt for me for now till i get comfortable with the whole reef situation with dosing and testing ect. all in the future! and as usual i have lots to learn >:) i really love this forum!!

I can go to my LFS and get "nova extreme" t5ho i think its either a 2 bulb setup for like $89( i could be wrong) but would be it worth it to spend $300 on a TEK 2 or 4 bulb setup instead or is it just going to be overkill for my silly fresh plants? iv read alot about the different types of lighting just had to decide which to go with. Thanks again matt for your help

Stretch

Has been struck by the ban stick
The thing with fresh water plants is that too much light is not necessarily a good thing. If I'm not mistaken if you have too much light your plants won't be able to use all of the energy unless you are injecting co2. Too much light can cause problems with algae if your plants aren't able to out compete that algae for nutrients.

......Saltwater flows through my veins

I do dose co2 booster for now. Once I get a light and the substrate situation straightened out co2 is next on the list. Only a few hundred bucks for a infuser and a small canister. I had considered doing a DIY co2 with yeast but it's just not practical with a tank this big I think.

So I think Iv decided to not go with the nova extreme it's just not the best brand so.. It's on to another random brand light. More shopping left to do

So I'm basically between the coralife and the TEK light 4 bulb setups. Both seem pretty legit as far as quality of the products. The prices aren't that far off either. The coralife looks like its about $100 cheaper but idk if I can even find a place that's has the TEK light in stock. Might go to one of my Fav Lfs and see if they can order it for me..

Doogle

I would do the Catalina 3 bulb planted tank light. $140 I think( maybe $40 shipping tho ) so aound $180. Comes with bulbs of your choice too. You can run 1,2 or 3 bulbs.
Idk, 4 bulbs would be good if your going co2 with 75g.

I actually had planned on doing the four light setup and running the second set for burst in the middle of the day. And I'm hopefully going to do the substrate, lights, and co2 all about the same time. So there's no "missing or weakest link" and everything can get used I it at once. Need to talk to "the planted tank" guys and get it running on my forum runner app ^.^ super excited to revamp the 75 while the salty rsm130 gets all settled in. RO tomorrow!!! Lights next week someone and co2 also if I can afford it! Can't wait but I will.

For now I have the glass hoods on and a extra aquarium light on it just for a little more light. The driftwood has shaded Alot of the bottom I'll post pics when I get home!

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
nice ! add this syntax to your urls
and your pics will show up :dance:

3464df79.jpg

PEMfish

You might wind up pulling your hair out with a good four bulb set up. Balencing out that system will be a pain. It seems to me that most planted pros go with two bulbs for ease of maint. but growth rates suffer.

Doogle

I switched my 2x24w T5 on my 41g panted freshwater tank with 4x24w & 150w 10k HQI. I'm running (FRONT)14k,18k Powerglo,--150w 10k HQI--, 10k,6500km(BACK) I only use the halide for a couple hours max. It seems fine but my glass gets green awfully fast.

Last edited:
Well last month I did a few big upgrades on the tank. A got a 4x54w t5ho coralife setup. Really nice light. But the actinic lights I didn't need so I also got four geismann bulbs. Two aqua flora and two midday bulbs. The mid day obviously are the ones on for an hour for "mid day".

Also I upgrade the filtration from two tetra whisper 55/75s to a fluval 406 canister filter. Super quiet. My first media change is coming soon so ill see how ez it is at that point.

Still to come in the total overhaul of the tank including 3 bags of florite and 2 bags of Eco-complete black premium plant subatrates, and a co2 setup should have a big impact on the overall growth and lushness of the plants. Here's a few pics of the tank
75562db5.jpg

d31bbdab.jpg

Short video sorry if its terrible lol
http://i1166.photobucket.com/albums...6072DAB5-218-0000006A952213D7_zpsd37eaa9d.mp4
Hope you like it! Ill link to my tank journal if someone tells me it's ok to link to another forum :) thanks guys!!

I guess I could include a few pics of the happy plants lol let see what I can find...
05F49F7F-DA4A-4190-91DA-81FAF424D8BE-2324-000001B29AAA9792_zpsd51ab3f8.jpg

3B12FAD8-5265-49D6-81E7-56F522EF3584-2324-000001B28F112988_zpsa33e9441.jpg

My loaches keep eating the swords leaves making little Swiss cheese holes in it
CCE29398-94C2-491F-833C-A9BFAA7DE4A7-2324-000001B28926797F_zps8fba1060.jpg

I think you will be happy with the 4 bulb t5ho.. A friend of mine run 6 over his.

I have a 29g eco complete substrate and a dual bulb 65w pc fixture. About top be running diy co2 in the process of getting it stocked too... What's your stock list?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2