a 55g simple mixed reed

nunlef

Hi,
I don't really post anymore, but I wanted to share/chronicle my new tank.

Background;
step 1. I had a 48 fowlr, it was a horrible mess because i did things and then just crossed my fingers.

step 2. found this forum, and decided I would "do things right". I bought a 120g, ran a berline style sump with swc skimmer and T5 lighting, etc, etc..

Step 3. I broke several ribs in a soccer game shortly after my 120 getting nice and comfortably established. I couldn't make it downstairs for water changes, and my husband just did basic top-offs and twice a week feedings. Didn't run sump during that 6 weeks in order to avoid the pump running dry, or skimmer freaking out.

Step 4. Recovered from the broken bone issue just in time to save the tank inhabitants.

Step 5. Then came down with pneumonia, and had to repeat step 3 again.

What I learned is that I want a fish tank to look at, not to work at. I bought a 55g tank (yes, I really do like those dimensions), and will not be running a skimmer or sump (please don't beat me).

I just placed a macro/snail order with reef cleaners, and my goal is to allow this tank to flourish with minimal intrusion.

equipment list;
55g glass tank, 48"
koralia #3 powerhead (though will be changing for a MP10 next month)
A heater
(2) Reef Brite LEDs - one white, and one blue.

that's it.

Here is a picture of what it looks like on set-up. I did bring over all my corals and fish, when the tangs reach 3", I will give up 2 of them (now I have 3).

(1) Tank bred ocellaris
(3) tank bred hippo tangs (I HAD to buy a group of 3, and 2 will be sold at the 3" point)
(1) Pink spotted goby
assorted snails, and a single scarlet hermit

100_5083.jpg

That's it.
I will likely update once a month, or if someone has a question.

Thanks

nunlef

thanks.

I also wanted new carpet in the basement, and that can't be done with a 1500 lb tank in the way ;)

ALSO, we are building a new house in the spring, and have incorporated a built in tank into the design. The 55 will serve as a display refugium at that point. Of course completion is a year away, so I will be spending that time perfecting my "mixed reef macro LED experiment".

GrendelPrime

1 thing i just noticed is that thick coat of gunk on the surface of the water, i dont know if its still there but u might want to concider adding more flow at the surface to break it up

nunlef

1 thing i just noticed is that thick coat of gunk on the surface of the water, i dont know if its still there but u might want to concider adding more flow at the surface to break it up

I'm pretty sure what you are seeing is a little sand dust. The water isn't 100% clear yet, and some of the sand is super fine - like confectioner's sugar. I'll likely catch it tonight, though it actually doesn't cover the whole surface.

It may also be a bad reflection, I have a 100 yo digital camera, and no skills to counteract that.