90-gallon 'Work' Tank

Shamus

OK - my place of work has a 90-gallon that needs some help. I've offered my services (all 7 months of experience along with it :D) to help the tank out. I'm hoping to use this thread to get some advice from the wonderful people of RS!

I haven't gotten a chance to run any tests yet (this will be done next week) and still need to familiarize myself with the setup (livestock, equipment, etc.) so I know that this thread is a bit premature, but some of the glaring issues in the tank right now are extremely brown water and an absolute outbreak of some sort of worm (my amateur eye thinks it's a bristle worm, and I know without a pic it's hard to say what it is...). Here are my thoughts on trying to salvage this situation immediately - after running the appropriate tests

1. Water changes, and hefty (50% changes over the next few weeks)
2. Running some carbon (I don't believe they are running carbon right now)
3. Checking to see if the filtration is sufficient
4. Checking the livestock in the tank and seeing if they are overstocked (I don't think this is the case - I only seemed to recall seeing a couple of clowns (don't know what type yet) and a Foxface).

I would appreciate any additional input anyone might have - I'm really hoping I can be of some help and can use my experience (again all 7 months of it) and more importantly, the experience of the members of RS, to help this tank, and the inhabitants, along.

Thanks in advance for the help everyone! I'll keep everyone informed as to the progress and hopefully this will get resolved in short order.

falhiem

Sounds like a case of neglect to me, glad to hear that you are going to try to salvage the tank. The only thing I can add is to find out who feeds the fish and see how much they are dumping into the tank. If it is someone who doesn't have experience with fish keeping they could be overfeeding way too much.

tnwillia

+1, If your going to take it on, first step is put it off limits to everyone else then treat it as your own tank and clean it up. I assume they are providing all the funding to make it right. I'd tell them up front a ball park of what it's going to take to get it right and then maintain it. If they are not prepared to pay to keep it up, maybe you can get them to pay you to take it home. Have fun!

redsea reefer

carbon, carbon and more CARBON!.

1. Water changes, and hefty (50% changes over the next few weeks)
2. Running some carbon (I don't believe they are running carbon right now)
3. Checking to see if the filtration is sufficient
4. Checking the livestock in the tank and seeing if they are overstocked (I don't think this is the case - I only seemed to recall seeing a couple of clowns (don't know what type yet) and a Foxface).

I think you answered the question yourself Steve...:)

Shamus

Thanks Falheim, Tom and Eddie! I agree I think it's a bit of neglect and a lack of research as to what's needed to maintain the tank. And I think there is some major overfeeding going on as well - I saw the person maintaining the tank feed flake and it was a TON of flake food (plenty hit the bottom - I guess he figures that the CUC will take care of it). The fish didn't swim like crazy for the food - either because I was there and they were skittish (hopefully this is it) or because they are unhealthy (let's hope this ISN'T the case...). We'll see what I'm dealing with next week and take it from there...

redsea reefer

Thanks Falheim, Tom and Eddie! I agree I think it's a bit of neglect and a lack of research as to what's needed to maintain the tank. And I think there is some major overfeeding going on as well - I saw the person maintaining the tank feed flake and it was a TON of flake food (plenty hit the bottom - I guess he figures that the CUC will take care of it). The fish didn't swim like crazy for the food - either because I was there and they were skittish (hopefully this is it) or because they are unhealthy (let's hope this ISN'T the case...). We'll see what I'm dealing with next week and take it from there...

Sounds good Steve, I would stop feeding flake foods, they are the worst and I believe have the highest amount of Phosphates. I have not fed my tank one flake since I started.

Shamus

Well, got to work on the 'work' tank. It's in some sad shape...

Here's the setup, from what I saw:

90-gallon tank (although even the person caring for it wasn't sure...I may have to measure to get an idea)
Unknown amount of live rock and gravel substrate
Two HOB sponge filters with bio-media
Fish: Two clowns, 4 chromis, 1 foxface
CUC: Crabs and a very large brittle star

The water was EXTREMELY brown and the tank is in pretty sad shape. Here's what we did today:

- Removed a bit of the LR and blasted some of the detritus off of the rock
- Vacuum siphoned the substrate and removed ~30% of the water for a water change - replaced water
- Thoroughly cleaned both filters and sponges and placed carbon in one of the filter units (no carbon was being run previously) - I basically brought an extra from home
- Cleaned the side and back glass and the hood (basically two panes of 'glass' blocking the light which was completely salted and crusted over)

The tank is obviously better than the shape it was in before, but still needs A LOT of TLC...tests didn't look great (ammonia = 0.25, nitrites = undetectable, nitrates = 20 ppm, pH 7.8). Tomorrow, the plan is more of the same - clean up the substrate a bit, change 30% of the water, clean out the HOB filters. I recommended that we should consider a protein skimmer (one is not being run currently) and a couple of powerheads to help with the circulation (right now the only circ is from the filters overflowing into the tank). Now, granted, I've never done a FOWLR before, but I figure the circulation at the very least will help with detritus buildup. I'm hoping that the carbon and the water changes will help with the levels in the tank now - time will tell...

I'm not sure about changing the person's ways who is caring for the tank. Definitely interested in getting it back to form, but still way overfeeding the tank...it's going to be a tough one...

Shamus

Thanks Eddie!

OK, here's the latest - day 2 of tank rehab. Another 30% water change and cleaning more of the substrate (we also moved a bit of the rock around to make it easier to clean). Levels are still the same - some ammonia in the tank and the Foxface was breathing a bit heavy, although I think some of that was stress from working on the tank as well.

Here's the latest FTS (and let me tell you, you couldn't even see the back of the tank two days ago!)
IMG_1560.jpg

We also encountered many of these critters (one of the reasons why I got pulled in - trying to help identify these guys as there were hundreds and hundreds of them all over the tank). My first guess was bristleworm, but they were crawling all over the glass and didn't have a care if it was daytime or not. Not really sure and would love some guesses. I'll likely post this on the hitchhiker ID forum as well...

I'd say they are no more than approximately a half inch in length fully stretched.

IMG_1556.jpg

IMG_1553.jpg

Tomorrow is another WC, another cleaning of the filters, changing the sponges in the filters and seeing what happens...

Shamus

Thanks for checking in Terry! No major news to report - I'm going to check up again on Monday and see how the fish are doing. The tank hasn't looked this good in a long time and others using the room where the tank is located have noticed the difference. I'm still trying to convince the person in charge to get a couple of powerheads to help with circulation and to stop feeding so much - he's still convinced that the fish are always begging for food. It's kind of scary to see how much makes it down to the substrate...no wonder why it was so filthy. No deaths in fish which is good as well...I'm hoping the ammonia has decreased. I added more nitro-bac to help reseed the bacteria in the tank.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Fish always look hungry - I hope that person starts listening to you. Maybe a note on the tank "Don't feed us!" would help.

Willie McDaries

you're headed in the right direction,glad to hear that someone who actually cares is trying to take care of it.....

it needs the extra powerheads,fish love strong water flow too....and I'd recommend a protein skimmer....how about the temperature on it,does it stay at a reasonable level or does it fluctuate drastically ?

I've never had much luck controlling the temp. with a lid on any tank I've ever had,I've always had to run 'em topless and add a fan blowing on the water surface to keep the temp. down when my lights are on,but that increases evaporation too....

what kind of water are you using ? I recommend using only RO/DI instead of conditioned tap water,there's stuff in tap water that the conditioner doesn't remove and can cause a hair algae outbreak.....

the person that's overfeeding(and I've done it too)needs to do a bunch of research and learn how to properly care for it,these aren't like freshwater fish(which shouldn't be subjected to such abuse either)they don't tolerate poor water conditions very well,and overfeeding is the quickest way I know to destroy water quality....

we take these animals from their natural home for our pleasure,we should be thoughtful enough to make their artificial home as comfortable as humanly possible.....

just stay on their case about the overfeeding,maybe they'll start to listen to you and good luck with the tank :)

Willie McDaries

I know. I just can't get through to him - and he feeds that much twice a day!

my tank goes for 2 days sometime without food,normally I only feed 1 time every other day.....every time I pass in front of my tank my fish act hungry even after they've just eat,they're all fat and healthy but always bumming...you just have to resist the urge to feed 'em that ofter....hopefully you can get through to that person

Shamus

Thanks Willie and Juan!

I think I've gotten through to the overfeeder. The fish greet me every time I check out the tank looking for food (what I'd expect!). I agree that the powerheads would be a great addition - this is my next push. I think I've finally gotten it through that more flow is definitely better. I thought about the protein skimmer as well - my biggest concern is the budget for a good skimmer for that size tank. That may have to be the next long term project. We use double distilled

Shamus

Sorry - hit submit by accident! Double distiller water, which has a TDS of 0. There actually hasn't been too much of an algae issue in the tank, so I'm relatively confident that the eater is a decent quality. The temp actually stays relatively constant - The lights are just fluorescent bulbs (not sure about power, wattage). I'll try and take some pics in the near future to show the improvements!

Willie McDaries

Thanks Willie and Juan!

I think I've gotten through to the overfeeder. The fish greet me every time I check out the tank looking for food (what I'd expect!). I agree that the powerheads would be a great addition - this is my next push. I think I've finally gotten it through that more flow is definitely better. I thought about the protein skimmer as well - my biggest concern is the budget for a good skimmer for that size tank. That may have to be the next long term project. We use double distilled

cool.....there is successful skimmerless tanks out there but it makes it a little easier on you to have one,they do a tremendous job at aerating the water which aides in keeping the PH up too,even an ol' seaclone would help some for that,and they do remove some waste...check out some of the DIY skimmers,you could build a skimmer to handle that tank cheaper than you might think with some PVC and a couple of MJ 1200's...water changes are key when going skimmerless

definitely need to add more flow to get the detritus up where the filter can remove it and the fish will love you for it too :D

distilled water is good too,just not tap water.....

keep us post with updated pics as the rehab continues,that tank has a lot of potential to be a beautiful reef tank someday...

Willie McDaries

Sorry - hit submit by accident! Double distiller water, which has a TDS of 0. There actually hasn't been too much of an algae issue in the tank, so I'm relatively confident that the eater is a decent quality. The temp actually stays relatively constant - The lights are just fluorescent bulbs (not sure about power, wattage). I'll try and take some pics in the near future to show the improvements!

distilled water is fine but it could get to be a job lugging all those jugs around...I'm a lazy reefer LOL

normal fluorescent is all you need for a FOWLR tank,and they don't really add that much heat.....if you ever decide to add coral the lighting may need an upgrade though,there is coral that would do fine with low lighting