75 gallon reef (finally)

Pat24601

Looking great! This us beyond my capabilities. How did you sort through the issues you mentioned in your prior post?

Looking great! This us beyond my capabilities. How did you sort through the issues you mentioned in your prior post?
Thanks! As far as the issues I mentioned I haven't resolved them yet. Right now it is a matter of waiting. The mounting rails for the AI's won't be in until Monday or Tuesday. When they do I am going to see if I can mount them to the wall and if not then I will reevaluate my mounting method. After Tuesday it will have been 6 business days since my items were shipped and if I don't have everything by end of day I will call Foster and Smith and Bulk Reef Supply to see where to go from there. I can't cut the top of the tank without voiding the warranty so I with the rockscape I left space between the rock and the back of the tank to compensate for the weight and the overhang.

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Can't say enough how awesome your macro-rocks look to be, looks like you have plenty :thumbup:
The only suggestion I have right now, is for you to make certain that your rockscape is far enough away from the glass on both tank ends so that you can get an algae scraper to pass through without getting stuck between them.
If you have a magfloat, you could see if it passes the glass cleaning test.
Do it before you add water so that slight fixes in your rockscape will be easier. After you fill with water, re-doing the scape gets frustrating. I re-did mine a couple of times. I think most everyone has a re-do or 2 :yup:
Congrats on getting your back painted :yeehoo:
I am glad mine came already painted :winky:

oh no... why dont they line up? was this stand designed for a drilled tank?
The stand was designed for reef ready tanks and is also manufactured by the same company that made the tank so I don't know why it doesn't line up. I think though that the solution for the light mounting will compensate for the stand problem. I am going to use 2x4's to create a table-esque construction to go behind the tank that I can attach the brackets to. I am going to measure so that the top of it is the same height as the stand so that it can also prop up the overhang.

A progress update: All of my equipment and materials have come in. I unfortunately ordered my cut sheets of acrylic for the sump a little wider than they should have been to be able to fit. I bought a Dremel and sanded them down and now they all fit so my plan is to install them tonight. If anyone has this issue in the future and uses the same fix I highly recommend eye protection and a good respirator for this.

hummer41269

If you mount the lights on back wall mount then on sliders so you can push them out of the way if you need to move them

Ok so it has been quite a while since I last updated my thread. There have been a lot of ups and downs over the last month or so and my tank has been up and running for a week and a half. That having been said I have a few questions for anyone out there. I have been testing my water every few days and it would seem that I am on the precipice of my tank being cycled. This seems rather odd to me as I was prepared to wait 4-6 weeks for this to happen especially with dry rock being my rock of choice. Current readings from my red sea tests. Ammonia- between 0.2 and 0 Nitrite- 0.05 Nitrate- 50. I threw a shrimp in the tank to kick off the cycle and I have seen the spikes in ammonia and nitrite it just seems way too fast so any ideas? Since it seems that I am quite close to adding my first inhabitants can anyone recommend a good food to use?

An update... I took nanoreefing's advice and put another shrimp in the tank last week. Tonight the tests show Ammonia-0 Nitrite-0.5. I didn't bother with the nitrate test since it is higher than the test would show at this point. It seems like in a day or so I will be doing a water change and be ready for some macroscopic life! It has been a while since pictures have gone up so here are a couple from the day that I got the tank running and a short video of the Hydra 52's doing their lightning thing.