5 Days in on my new 130D!

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Greg - still using the Simplicity, as I think you are. I got a Via-Aqua reactor but haven't set it up yet. I stuck with Simplicity to use up my Chemi-Pure Elite, as I had concerns that some of the fine resin particles in the CPE would be ejected from the Via-Aqua.

NYCreefer

Closer pic of that algae .. used my blackberry camera, seemed to have an easier time focusing then my Canon, go figure.

IMG00071-20100217-1706.jpg

IMG00073-20100217-1706.jpg

Bristle worm getting a little too close for comfort ..

IMG00068-20100217-1705.jpg

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Eddie - Good point - I was thinking maybe Ulva too, but letting it grow out more would confirm it. Ulva is a good "food" algae for a lot of fish. I used to grow some in my refugium. I'm not sure if Ulva roots in rock? Mine was free floating & grew like crazy - big wide leaves.

redsea reefer

Terry - It sure does look like Ulva and I also don't know if it roots in rock either.

I have not seen a Bristleworm in my tank for months and honestly I miss them.

NYCreefer

So we're almost a month in - amazing how time flies! Recently added about a dozen snails, 6 hermits and an emerald crab. Was really hoping to see a reduction in algae, but instead it's spreading like wildfire.

Realizing that the RSM kit didn't come with a phosphate test, I purchased the Salifert one and it measured 1ppm - seems high no? Tested my RO/DI water and it's clean, plus I'm running CPE.

IMG00082-20100224-1851.jpg

Nothing seems to be touching the diatoms on the sand bed, but I do see them going to work on the glass and back panel. Pretty cool the seeing the tracks that the snails leave behind - they seem to clean in a very patterned fashion.

IMG00085-20100224-1852.jpg

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
I can see the diatom, and that will go away with time. What algae is spreading like wildfire? I don't see any hair algae. The thin green film algae on the glass never really goes away - that's why they have scrapers. I still get some of it and clean it off every couple days.

NYCreefer

Terry I was mostly referring to the lobophora - i swear I can practically see the stuff growing in front of my eyes. My little emerald crab does pick at it occasionally but he's fighting a losing battle. Saw some threads about Naso Tangs loving the stuff and possibly even an urchin. Think I might just break out my trusty pair of tweezers and see how much I can physically remove.

Shamus

Looking pretty darn good - happy month anniversary! Just like Terry said, the diatom will diminish - need to get rid of those silicates...

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Terry I was mostly referring to the lobophora - i swear I can practically see the stuff growing in front of my eyes. My little emerald crab does pick at it occasionally but he's fighting a losing battle. Saw some threads about Naso Tangs loving the stuff and possibly even an urchin. Think I might just break out my trusty pair of tweezers and see how much I can physically remove.

OK - I couldn't tell from the pictures if that brown stuff on the rocks was Lobophora or not. I never had any, so I'm not sure how to defeat that stuff.

Melevsreef.com - Lobophora

I wonder if a Sea Hare would eat it?

NYCreefer

Hey all! Been a while so thought I'd post some pics.

Recently added 2 stunner LEDs, one 453nm blue and one 8000K/453nm combo - these lights looks great when switched on alone or to add some "pop" to corals when the main lights are on - very happy with the purchase. I run the LEDs 10hrs a day and the T5s for about 3-4 hours and my corals have never looked better. Easy install, less heat and power draw as well .. win win.

So as you'll see in the last pic, my 2 day old anemone has managed to go from his rock which i placed out in the sandbed with lots of light and current to a little crevice in the LR. I've read that it can take up to a week or two for him to find a suitable home - I'm just surprised he chose one with very little light and flow. Hopefully the little guy is OK.

DSC_0258.jpg

DSC_0286.jpg

DSC_0242.jpg

DSC_0255.jpg

DSC_0256.jpg

Cheers! :clink:

Johan

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Nice pictures and good to hear from you! The green anemone really has gone into a crevice! Hopefully he'll come out for more light soon.