47 Gallon Mantis Column of Death.

PIMPALA

Ok, so back in my freshwater days, I had this super pain in the butt 47 gallon column tank. Gave it to a buddy when I moved to salt water, and then he gave it back when he converted to salt, and I used it as a fuge for a year or so. Lately I've been using it to mix my salt water.

Well, for the last 6 months, I've been keeping my eye out for a good deal on a new tank for the mantis while he just chills in the BC14 for now. But it's been too long!

Today after looking at a used 75, I just decided on a whim to use the 47 again. I remembered being armpit deep in this stupid thing, and still being nowhere near the bottom, so the plan is to have like 12" (maybe more) sandbed in it... Which will give me room to build a large chamber/den for the mantis, with a cool cave opening on top. Haven't exactly decided on how I'm going to do it yet, but I'm in no hurry, so this build might take several days.

Anyway, moved it into its new location tonight, tossed up a little 20" MH/T5 fixture I had laying around on top. I'm NOT hooking up the MH, but do plan on using the T5, so I may add some LEDs in there. This will be a mostly low light tank, and I doubt I even add any corals. If so, just softies like Kenya, shrooms, GSP, etc.

Equipment:
47 gallon column
HOB filter running poly and carbon
2 koralia PHs.
T5/LED combo

Stock:
Peacock mantis
6 line wrasse
May add another fish, or something. Still undecided.

VERY VERY DSB
Tons of rubble
40-50lbs of LR
PVC tunnel/den

Here's what she looks like so far.

C54B09EC-84E2-4758-BA0B-DAA144F3F539-35821-0000113E281B23B2.jpg

PIMPALA

Ugh. 60 pounds of sand gave me less than 6" of depth?!! Fuuuuuu. Gonna have to add another 50-60 pounds, plus stuff some ugly live rock in there to make it even deeper.

I thought 60-75lbs would be more than enough. :-/

38D316FC-54FE-4EAE-841C-DB5B543F2360-37937-000012489E94E92D.jpg

ddelozier

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
LOL i could have told ya, 60lbs wouldnt do it. I have 180lbs of aquarium aragonite in my garage. in 3 5gal buckets. you can augment that with live rock rubble, even buried near the bottom. wont hurt anything and most stores sell it for cheap. My lfs sells it 10bucks for a 5gal bucket. all pea to golfball sized stuff.

PIMPALA

Mixed in some rubble, a few big pieces of ugly chunks of rock to secure my rock pile/den, and 20 more pounds of sand. Ended up with 9-10" on the left side and down to 7-8" on the right.

There's a huge den in the middle with a main entrance, an 2 emergency exits. One side and one rear.

DF5F94C1-5CE6-4555-8DDB-ABBF41C60F12-4359-000001CFA320E3DB.jpg

Figured since its the column of death, might as well have the skull in there. lol

PIMPALA

Thanks bro! That rock and the skull have been cycling for 5 months, but the sand was dry, so I'm still watching for a cycle. Maybe a week or two. We will see. :)

Bearjohnson

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
Can't wait to see it! Went to the LFS last weekend and they had a small peacock and I was sooo tempted. I'm sitting on a new empty 40 breeder just waiting to get wet and I'm just insure what I want to do with it.

steved13

PREMIUM
I don't like the 27" tall of my tank, but at least the 20"x18" shortens the reach some. :)

My joke is "I think Right Guard is reef safe"

PIMPALA

I can't STAND how tall it is. That's why I have 8-10" of sand in there. Now I'm only 20-22" from the sand. Not too bad. Lol

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Very cool looking tank Jason! Tall tanks can be a BIATCH but I think you've come across a good solution to "soggy armpits".

I really like your "Decor" in the tank.