40 Gallon Breeder Tank

Brad

New to the site.
I currently am running a 29 gallon tank with live rock, sand, small protein skimmer and live coral. I have three fish right now. A clown and two blue Chromis. The tank has been running for 2 years. Things are going good. I am looking at converting this to a 40 gallon breeder with a 30 gallon sump/refugium. Thoughts on this size upgrade? I would be adding a larger protein skimmer and sump/refugium. Would I open myself up to a better fish selection? Thanks for any help.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members

Start a new tank thread & share your tank with us so we can follow along - we love pics :)

Sounds like a nice upgrade, if it will be big enough for you. I started with a 35 gallon & went to a 65 and have been very happy with my new tank.

Brad

I was only going to this size, because I would not have to buy anymore lighting. I plan on putting a big 120 or so downstairs this fall. I finished my basement and have spot for that. The kids want to keep this tank upstairs, but I need a bigger one to maintain. If I go to a 75 gallon upstairs, I would have to buy more lights, rock, sand, etc. now. Trying to do an upgrade without breaking the bank. I was curious though on what kinda of fish I could put in the 40 gallon breeder setup? I could always use it as a stepping stone for fish to then put in the basement. Don't know, just thinking out loud. Never done post before, only listened to local fish guys. Sometimes I question them. :)

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
:wave: Hello Brad
:rbwwelc:WELCOME to Reef Sanctuary :crowd:

Going for a 10 gallon upgrade (IMO) doesn't seem like a big enough increase even with the added sump/fuge to allow you but (maybe) two more fish that will stay fairly small.
The swim room won't be much more.
This SW addiction makes waiting & wanting a hard thing to do.
Now, when you start talking about a 120 gal or so....that's going to allow you keep more but also more maintance.
I have a 66 gallon w/added 20gal sump/fuge & I'm maxed out with 8 fish total. I'm happy with mine because it's all I want to maintain.

You are in a good place to share your thoughts...We love to talk & think about fish :thumber2:
Stick around & share with us what you decide to do!!
Very BEST WISHES always....:cruiser:

sirrealism

Welcome to the addiction. Lot of great people here to help you along the way.. 40b are great sized tanks. I have one and there is a lot of space but Diana is right. 10g "Closer to 15 as the 40 is really like 42" is not a lot of an upgrade. I do understand about having to buy a bunch of stuff to fill a larger tank but here is a thought. What are you running for lights? Maybe get a 65. Its the same size as the 40b but taller. It looks a lot bigger then a 40. I guess it all comes down to what light and how much rock you have now.

Brad

I currently have a Marineland 36" Reef light with timer. I have over 40lbs of rock. 3 inch of live sand. I don't mind going big, but I am putting the majority of my investment in the basement tank which I can do 120-220 there with a drain and unfinished room behind. I just wanted to upgrade the upstairs one in our dining room because I need to move it and what better time to upgrade to bigger without investing a ton. I also will be able to add a sump now as before it was built into my wall and I could not. Hope this makes sense. I am rambling and really just need to decide if the 65 or 40 would be ok with my 36" light and the 30 gallon refugium.

Last edited:

Brad

Ok. I have my 40 breeder with two bulk heads drilled!. I also have my 29 gallon tank for my sump. I know it is now much of an upgrade, but I am going to be doing my dream build this fall. This is for the kids upstairs. My question is, in my 29 gallon sump/refuguim, I am going to have my inlet dropping into a sock in the first chamber with an in sump protein skimmer and the heater. I then am going have that go into the center chamber which will have my older live rock and sand bed with some cheo. The last chamber will then have my outlet with a mag 5 pumping back up. I need to buy a protein skmmer and heater still. I also need to finalize my design on the sump. I have seen sumps with the 3 dividers separating the chambers in the first spot as well as the one with just one divider with a 1" gap halfway up. I need help. I hope this makes sense...... Thanks everyone. I do not want to break the bank (I know, get out of saltwater with that attitude, but again, this is for the kids and my big build will be later). I was hoping to get an in sump protein cheap. Advice on all this mess? lol