4 Popular Salt Test Results

pablomay28

Hello all,

I have recently changed salts due to inconsistencies in Reef Crystals. After doing some research I pulled the trigger on a box of Seachem Reef Salt. I tested the big 3 Alk, Ca, and Mg at 1.026 and 78F. Both salts were well shaken before performing the test. Mg test was done with salifert and Ca and Alk were done with a Hanna Checker. Wish Mg was higher but at least its better than Reef Crystals.

Here are my results.

Seachem Reef Salt
Mg 1200
Ca 527
Alk 10.47 dKH

Reef Crystals
Mg 1080
Ca 450
Alk 8 dKH

Last edited:

pablomay28

I've heard great things about Seacham. Let us know what you think.

It will take a while for my reef to completely be on Seachem Reef Salt since I am slowly mixing it with the Reef Crystals when doing a water change. I will keep the forum posted on any changes.

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Sounds very interesting....I want in on the update when you post one. Please post it in this thread so I don't miss it.
I use Reef Crystals & have had decent luck with it.
But I might consider a change :)

pablomay28

Sounds very interesting....I want in on the update when you post one. Please post it in this thread so I don't miss it.
I use Reef Crystals & have had decent luck with it.
But I might consider a change :)

So far so good with the new salt. The only issue I see is that it is a bit difficult to get since not many LFS sell it. The same store I got it from on Amazon sells the 200 gal box of Reef Crystals for $54+$6 shipping the 200 gal box Seachem Reef Salt goes for $53+$6 shipping. In case anyone is interested in any of these salts the seller is Petsolutions out of Ohio.

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
I checked to compare the price where I order Instant Ocean Reef Crystals & they didn't have SeaChem in the 200gal box.
The price for it on Amazon was good tho.
I will take time to read the reviews & wait for your review also.
I like the higher CA & alk test compare you did....thanks!

pablomay28

Update!!
Been doing research on parameters of the most popular salts. All I have found is people posting what the buckets say. I have ordered some Tropic Marin Pro Reef and Red Sea Coral Pro. I will test the Alk, Calcium, Magnesium, and Phosphates on all. After the results I will make a choice regardless of price based on how close the parameters are to what is claimed by the brand. The salts I have used so far have been ok, my reef has not responded negatively to any brand. What bothers me is shelling out the $$ and the parameters not being close to what is labled on the bucket or box.

mtsully71

Hello all,

I have recently changed salts due to inconsistencies in Reef Crystals.
Here are my results.

Seachem Reef Salt
Mg 1200
Ca 527
Alk 10.47 dKH

Reef Crystals
Mg 1080
Ca 450
Alk 8 dKH

I have been using RC pablomay28, here is what numbers I got with RODI CA 460, mg 1520 alk 10.6 salinity 1.025, 78 temp. Problem is, even with WC's, I have an ALK of 6.2-6.4 from week to week in my tank. I can't explain it because it does not correspond with the 40 PPM use of CA.

Like you, its time for a change up, I have some Tropic Marin (basic) coming in I will keep you posted on my RODI numbers if your interested

pablomay28

Awesome!!! Thanks for the information. When done I will have the results for Reef Crystals, Seachem Reef Salt, Tropic Marin Pro Reef, and Red Sea Coral Pro.

Besides the water changes I dose with BRS 2 part and keep my alkalinity at 9-9.5 dKH, Calcium at 450-500, and Mg at 1400

mtsully71

ahhh ok, I am going to start dosing 2 part (ESV B-ionic) as things appear ok, but that's just hovering to low for alk. Going to shoot for 8-9

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
imo - another great salt is Seachem Salinity (you are not suppose to be able to get this online, only at lfs ) and it's very expensive comparatively - I ran it for a year & loved it, changed just to save some $ & just was not sure the extra $$$ were worth it, but it is Seachem "top of the line" salt... if interested

http://aquavitro.com/products/salinity.html

pablomay28

ahhh ok, I am going to start dosing 2 part (ESV B-ionic) as things appear ok, but that's just hovering to low for alk. Going to shoot for 8-9
I tried ESV and it did not last plus it does not come with Magnesium. I got the BRS 1 gallon total package and it last a very long time. It comes with the dry soda ash, calcium chloride, and the magnesium chloride and magnesium sulfate. You get 3 pump containers to manually dose and the dosing measuring cups. I purchased some Ice Cap dossers and am currently dosing 120 ml of Calcium and Alkalinity. They have a handy reef calculator to tell you how much to dose depending on your current parameters and your desired ones.

pablomay28

Got the Tropic Marin Pro Reef and the Red Sea Coral Pro. Today I only had a chance to test the Tropic Marin Pro Reef. Keep in mind I am using the same test kits for all of the salts Hanna for Ca and Alk, and Salifert for Mg. All buckets and bags have been shaken so that I get accurate readings. Water is at 78F and 0 TDS RODI water.
Tropic Marin takes less salt to get to 1.026 it is very fine and clears up really fast. I will later post pictures of all 4 salts to see how coarse or fine they are. I will try to do a video also at a later time.
The results.

Tropic Marin Pro Reef (200 gal $92 Marine Depot)
Mg 1350
Ca 470
Alk 6.6 dKH

Seachem Reef Salt (200 gal $53 Amazon)
Mg 1200
Ca 527
Alk 10.47 dKH

Reef Crystals (200 gal $55 Amazon)
Mg 1080
Ca 450
Alk 8 dKH

Red Sea Coral Pro (175 gal $73 Marine Depot)
Mg will post 11/4/2015
Ca will post 11/4/2015
Alk will post 11/4/2015

Last edited:

StirCrayzy

Interesting about the Mg in RC. I've never seen variances outside of 1300-1350 and I've been using RC for 15 yrs.
The other params are about right where I see them Ca 400-450 , Alk 8-9.

pablomay28

I think i got a bad batch when I got this last 200 gallon box. Before my test results were similar to yours.

pablomay28

The final test are in. Red Sea Coral Pro mixes clear very fast.

Tropic Marin Pro Reef (200 gal $92 Marine Depot)
Mg 1350
Ca 470
Alk 6.6 dKH

Seachem Reef Salt (200 gal $53 Amazon)
Mg 1200
Ca 527
Alk 10.47 dKH

Reef Crystals (200 gal $55 Amazon)
Mg 1080
Ca 450
Alk 8 dKH

Red Sea Coral Pro (175 gal $73 Marine Depot)
Mg 1470
Ca 480
Alk 12.32 dKH
Ultra low phosphorus test 10ppb (Sorry ran out of test for the other salts)

Last edited:

pablomay28

Reef Crystals and Tropic Marine Pro Reef leave a brown residue after mixing. Seachem Reef Salt mixes cloudy. I was very disappointed in Tropic Marin with a dKH of 6.6 then 6.8.
My display tank today 11/04/2015
Mg 1440
Ca 420 (Dose 144ml a day of BRS 2 part)
Alk 10.24(lowered the dosser from 144ml to 120ml a day of BRS 2 part)
Ultra low phosphorus test of 1ppb (I run BRS dual media with GFO and Carbon)
I was most impressed by Seachem and Red Sea and most disappointed by Reef Crystals and Tropic Marin especially at $92 a Bucket.

Last edited: