37 gallon with 10 gallon sump

Tjr1992

My nitrates are a bit high at the moment so I have a probelm with HA at the moment. Just bought the Eshopps PSK 75 in sump about 4 days ago. I have some live sand, live rock, chaeto, and red caulerpa in the sump. Any suggestions? Thanks!
swtank1.jpg
swtank2.jpg
swtank3.jpg
swtank4.jpg
swtank5.jpg

Tjr1992

I don't know why my pictures are sideways? :(

Edit: we'll, on my iPad they're upright, but on my computer they're sideways...?

DaveK

What are your exact readings for SG, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH, and phosphate? Any other readings you take may also help.

How long has your system been set up?
How much live rock and live sand do you actually have in the tank?

As of the moment, your problem doesn't look that bad, but it's not possible to tell if this is part of a normal tank getting started up, or your about to have a big giant algae farm.

For a 37 gal tank, it doesn't look like you have enough live rock in it. Typically you want about 1 to 1 1/2 pounds of LR per gallon, so you tank should have about 37 to about 58 pounds of live rock.

Tjr1992

I have about 35 lbs LS, 30 lbs LR, SG=1.024 ammonia=0 nitrite=0 and nitrate=40 I dont have a phosphate test. When I get the money I'm going to get a phosphate and different nitrate test. I also ordered another aqueon circulation pump 500 for the other side of the tank so I have opposing flow to help with dead spots. My tank has been running for about 2 months.

Tjr1992

Ok thanks. I have a question about my skimmer. It's producing foam, but once some foam goes into the collection cup, that's all for a while. Does it take a while for it to constantly produce foam?

castiel

Ok thanks. I have a question about my skimmer. It's producing foam, but once some foam goes into the collection cup, that's all for a while. Does it take a while for it to constantly produce foam?

how long have you been running the skimmer?

jjmoneyman

RS Sponsor
Looks like you're just trying to dial in a new setup. I agree, more LR would help. Your Trates are high which warrants a good old fashioned water change (about a 5 gallons bucket a week would be good). Skimmers take a little tinkering to dial in correctly. Just adjust it very slightly until it's producing consistently. I empty skimmers every day or two, but I skim very wet.

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
Looks like you're just trying to dial in a new setup. I agree, more LR would help. Your Trates are high which warrants a good old fashioned water change (about a 5 gallons bucket a week would be good). Skimmers take a little tinkering to dial in correctly. Just adjust it very slightly until it's producing consistently. I empty skimmers every day or two, but I skim very wet.

As always spot on. No wonder his tanks grow all the corals I want.

........I have nothing intelligent left to say.