36" 6x39W Lights T5 - Recommendations

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
My RSM 250 is currently running the stock Red Sea Max bulbs (36" 6x39W Lights T5)

My tank just passed the six month mark & I plan to change my stock bulbs within the next couple of months, thought I would start this thread & if it gets good feedback, I could possibly make it a Sticky: as this is a frequently asked question. I know many have what they run in thier signature lines, but though we might could compile them here.

Can you post what brand of T5 & what types of T5 bulb combinations you are running, along with any advise you have learned along the way. Also links to suggested sites carrying them for sale... (does not have to be anyone country, just make a note, like US, UK, etc... and this thread can help everyone)

I am personally looking for bulbs with a great look as my #1 objective and then coral growth as my #2 objective, as a great look is pretty subjective, any comments or advise will be helpful & taken as "in your opinion".

Here is one recommendation Reef Geeks gave me, they told me this is one of thier more popular combinations ReefGeek > Aquarium Supplies for Marine, Reef, and Saltwater Aquariums
3 ATI B+
1 ATI 12k Aquablue
1 GE 6500K Daylight
1 ATI Purple Plus
For the bluer look, Replace the Aquablue with another ATI B+

All advise welcomed & solicited - help me build this thread, so it becomes sticky worthy, even if you just cut & paste in what you currently run! :clink: :)

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
More ReefGeeks advise... I got today, a bit different than what I posted above...

One of our most popular 6-bulb T5 bulb combinations is 3-ATI Blue Plus, 2-ATI Aquablue Special and 1-ATI Purple Plus. This combination has excellent output and should give your tank a nice crisp color with a hint of blue. If you prefer a bit of bluer look (Many of your fellow hobbyist do as it typically makes corals “pop” a little bit more.) than I would recommend replacing one of the ATI Aquablue Special bulbs with another Blue Plus.

Decisions, decisions...

sidebar - I did learn today how to get a 5% discount, I have asked permission to share it with here or by PM, waiting on a reply. If interested, let me know...

reeferman

second recomendation is what i would go with.as i said before,that 65k is VERY yellow.
i run 3 ati aquablue[really a white bulb despite the name,around 12-14k i think]
and 3 kz super blues
excellent color and growth from this combo.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Do you like this 3-ATI Blue Plus, 2-ATI Aquablue Special and 1-ATI Purple Plus

or this better?

4-ATI Blue Plus, 1-ATI Aquablue Special and 1-ATI Purple Plus

reeferman

yes.i have ordered bulbs for the new ati fixture for the new tank and i got the same bulb combo except the fixture is eight bulbs so i added an ati purple plus[similar to the fiji purple] and a kz coral light 10k.i got an extra aquablue and superblue in case i dont like the two new ones.i really like my current combo.this combo also has the highest par based on the last tests i saw.

reeferman

i would go with the 3 aquablues,2 blue plus and 1 purple plus.i kinda like the kz superblues over the blue plus but i used blue plus before my last bulb change and was very happy with them.

reeferman

yes,i like the first link over the second link.although they are very similar,the kz has slightly higher par.

colaboy

Hello,

After more than 1.5 years (NOT GOOD! :D) I replaced my RSM250 bulbs 2 days ago.

I got aquamedic bulbs which are German I think. So probably not very usefull info for you guys, but still :)

My LFS recommended the following configuration:

2x20.000
2x15.000
2x10.000

I must say that for now I'm satisfied with this setup. It's a bit more white than the stock bulbs.

On the other hand: I think I'm not the most demanding person in this area....

Ramon

RSM250PEARL

My 250 has been running seven months now and I'm planning on doing away with the stock bulbs from RedSea and going with all KZ bulbs as suggested by Eddie in the second post in this thread (thanks Eddie :) )

http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums...18-rsm-250s-6-month-bulb-lighting-change.html

I prefer a blueish look to a white so I'm gonna get the 14k coral lights rather than the 10k. I'm just on the fence whether to go for that combo of;

3 KZ Super Blue
2 KZ Coral Light 14k
1 KZ Fiji Purple

Or

2 KZ Super Blue
3 KZ Coral Light 14k
1 Fiji Purple

Would the second combo give me better growth or does anybody think it might be too much light? I have no prior experience with KZ bulbs but I've heard only good things. I just don't wanna get a combo that'll shock anything and cause bleaching.

Thanks for this thread btw Glenn.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Thank You for adding to this thread ! Ours tanks are about the exact same age & I am about to make this same decision.

All input from any & all members appreciated !

humbertomm

Glenn

I used to have t5 in mine previous tank.... if i needed to take this decision i go for:

3-ATI Blue Plus, 2-ATI Aquablue Special and 1-Fiji Purple

[back]
B+
Bspecial
Fiji
B+
Bspecial
B+
[Front]