24hr 5.5 Gal Pico

brandon429

this tank is truly tank of the month material you are getting the most exotic colors ever, and that actinic must have!
nice

echopiece

Just finished installing a 70W fishneedit metal halide, with the stock 20K bulb over my 5.5g. Corals are still getting used to the new light. The stock 20K bulb looks more like a 14K, but is still fairly nice and is VERY bright! Temp hasnt been an issue yet. I moved my fan a few inches closer and everything seems ok. Hoping to get a few new SPS corals in there now. Transferred my chaeto from the DT into my first chamber for a cleaner look.

It took me a few days to figure out how to install the light, as the supplied arms that clamp onto the side of the tank are pretty much useless. Soldered up some 3/4 copper tube and drilled it into the back of my dresser mirror! Needless to say, the wife was not too happy about that part! Overall, I am very happy with this new light and do not have any complaints thus far.

p1130089.jpg

p1130103.jpg

p1130104.jpg

p1130112.jpg

Video:
YouTube - 5.5 Gallon Pico Reef

Last edited:

QuentinB

LOL, 70 watts over 5 gallons?! Wow... Looks great though! I remember reading on this when I first joined RS, it's really come a long way!

omerojs

Very nice tank!!! how are your readings before a WC? are those weekly WC a must? i say it because there is not much bioload and you have the cheato in there..

Doogle

Wow you really put a lot into it. Kinda lost the sleekness with the halide. I love smaller tanks, you can really make them look full of corals! Thanks for the thread, hope to see more.

echopiece

Thanks, but that tank has been taken down for a few months now. I built another 5.5 and derimmed it and installed a 150w radium over this one (shown here).
photo2bve.jpg

Not much has happened as I am focused on my new 30 gallon setup.

That is some high quality work! Maybe you should consider quitting your day job and manufacturing nano aquariums for all of us to enjoy!

Nice job! How are you planning on stocking the tank? Corals only?

echopiece

That is some high quality work! Maybe you should consider quitting your day job and manufacturing nano aquariums for all of us to enjoy!

Nice job! How are you planning on stocking the tank? Corals only?
Thank you! I had a yellow tail damsel for a few months, then one day I came home and my pom pom crab had him for dinner! I have no idea what happened as he seemed very healthy and happy prior to the incident? When I transfer everything out of my RSM 130D, I will stock this tank with some more coral, mainly SPS. Here is a sneak peak to my new setup...

This was my original idea/design:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8HP6V3lKoWg&list=UUtjEZRPyPtP6Rd24Ousr4GA&index=3&feature=plcp

photo1bi.jpg

photo2ok.jpg

photo3cwx.jpg