2+months cycle nitrites still through the roof

steved13

PREMIUM
Your test kit could be bad. Have you had the results verified? Some nitrates indicates some nitrites are being converted, but a little odd they would be so high. What are you using for an ammonia source?

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
The nitrites should convert to nitrates... might consider starting water changes... some like to wait, but I don't think it hurts to start them. Might also check your nitrite test. Only water changes will rid the nitrates, but the nitrites should convert.

Cheers for going slow... you won't go wrong at all by waiting it out another few weeks...

Here a good :read: from one of our RS sponsors Dr. Mac, if interested... not sure of the state of your LR How to Cure Live Rock

Doogle

If you have any livestock, think about a small wc it will not slow down your cycle. If not, it doesn't hurt to do a wc anyway...wc never hurts when your that far into cycle.

Doogle

Yup, if your trying to hurry it up it may take a couple or few consecutive water changes to get that trite down.had a African cichlids tank that was overstocked when I started out that spiked the trite like astronomically high for a while and wasnt showing any signs of coming down( off the scale high) and I had to do a 3 or 4 50% wc to get it down. I'm happy to say I never lost a fish, trite isn't as bad as ammo at least.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
bskinn77 tell us more about your cycle process.

Did you see the Ammonia spike?

What are you doing to "Feed" the cycle?

What the rock LIVE or how was it?