1st Period Biology

Rougiem

Ichthy Inquisitor
PREMIUM
Mr. Squid:

Great idea and I will talk to you about it this morning. Yes it will be a new thread in the Wooster High School forum! :thumbup:

RamenHokage17

Hey i'm just checking in, it hs been a few days since I last posted and I wanted to see how things were comoing along.

Wow The Poll thing sounds like an excellent idea, Mr.Squid! XD Good luck on getting it up and running!

~!Have A Good One!~

Rougiem

Ichthy Inquisitor
PREMIUM
Just a "heads up" to all at RS -> I will be giving my students questions to answer every couple of days. They are more than welcome to post them and ask you for advice. One way I see on using this site!

Thank you to everyone for your support and continued enthusiasm! :thumbup:

AlcatrazE

...Cant touch this...da na na na ch da na ch da na cant touch this......quit looking at me!! *hides*
oh, our first assignment is to write...

r-e-e-f-e-r-m-a-d-n-e-s-s 100 times

ha...:winner:...me

vdituri

The micro bubbles stick to organic compouds (fish poo, etc.) and they pull the poo with them when they float to the top collection cup.
It pulls reef gunk (gunkus reefus, true technical term :) ) out of the water making it cleaner and the fish and corals happier.
In the ocean this is the nasty foam you see on the shore. The waves crashing on the rocks make their own micro bubbles.

AlcatrazE

.....6th Period....are you insane...why do we have to cheat off of the other class...if i did i would have given myself an "f" on the test of life, pride is big at Wooster, i wont cheat to win...at least, not online...

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Protein skimmers use air bubbles to attract and export DOCs (Dissolved Organic Compounds) from the water column. As Chris pointed out fish fesces is an organic compound, and while a protein skimmer won't remove the solid form of feces or detritus (eg. excess food), once these organic compounds begin to rot or decompose, the venturi vortex of the protein skimmer creates bubbles to which the DOCs attach. Cellulose is one of the major DOCs that is removed.

The DOC covered bubbles are forced into a collection cup thus removing them from the water column. If you go to an shore line you will see sea foam which is the natural process a protein skimmer replicates.

Ciao,
Craig

vdituri

.....6th Period....are you insane...why do we have to cheat off of the other class...if i did i would have given myself an "f" on the test of life, pride is big at Wooster, i wont cheat to win...at least, not online...

Way to stick to your morals! lol

Techno-Vicki

The micro bubbles stick to organic compouds (fish poo, etc.) and they pull the poo with them when they float to the top collection cup.
It pulls reef gunk (gunkus reefus, true technical term :) ) out of the water making it cleaner and the fish and corals happier.
In the ocean this is the nasty foam you see on the shore. The waves crashing on the rocks make their own micro bubbles.

You have such a way with words. You really know how to reach students and higher levels of thinking. I am sure they really get it in those terms, and yes, there is sarcasm in my tone, but only while I am laughing. That truely is a fun way to reach/teach!