150 gallon tank on second floor? Will it hold?

Ken Ken

oooo lucky me..ok i have a even better picture. Here is a picture of the garage before it was drywall. Turns out the floor joist will run perpendicular to the tank. If i installed the innovative marine 120g it would sit along 3 to 4 joist. I think i am in the clear for the 120g?

ziggy

oooo lucky me..ok i have a even better picture. Here is a picture of the garage before it was drywall. Turns out the floor joist will run perpendicular to the tank. If i installed the innovative marine 120g it would sit along 3 to 4 joist. I think i am in the clear for the 120g?

Bingo! You are good to go. The joist is not only perpendicular to the tank but the joists are engineered I beams, meaning they are stronger then normal. Also, the height of the header over the garage door is very high meaning again, it's made for above average loads. I would put a tank against that wall.

Ken Ken

Bingo! You are good to go. The joist is not only perpendicular to the tank but the joists are engineered I beams, meaning they are stronger then normal. Also, the height of the header over the garage door is very high meaning again, it's made for above average loads. I would put a tank against that wall.

awesome! Innovative Marive sr-120 here I come! I will post pictures of everything once it arrives...Thanks for the help and support guys.

ziggy

awesome! Innovative Marive sr-120 here I come! I will post pictures of everything once it arrives...Thanks for the help and support guys.
photo shows your floor joists are more then 16" on center, most likely 24" OC but because the are the engineered I beams and because your putting the tank right at the end of the joist, you should be OK

reeferman

take this advice for what its worth...im a master carpenter with over 20 yrs experience in building homes.you are perfectly safe with a tank over that area.
as for the joists being 24" on center...they are not,thats 16" center all day.theres not many areas in the US that would allow a wooden floor system on 24" centers.those TGIs are more than capable of bearing the load.

Ken Ken

take this advice for what its worth...im a master carpenter with over 20 yrs experience in building homes.you are perfectly safe with a tank over that area.
as for the joists being 24" on center...they are not,thats 16" center all day.theres not many areas in the US that would allow a wooden floor system on 24" centers.those TGIs are more than capable of bearing the load.

Hey Reeferman from your experience what would you say is the max size tank that would be safe in that location?

reeferman

with the joists running perpendicular to the tank and being TGIs,you could go bigger but the size youve picked would suffice IMHO.too much bigger and you will get a little deflection.
youre very welcome.
hey Glenn,thanks!

burning2nd

Yes it will.. but you want to the tank to run across the joist's NOT WITH THEM...

there is a big difference, and understand that with out reinforcement, your putting room at close to 75% max,

burning2nd

thats my concern....the tank will be against the wall with the joists running parallel to the tank.

thats a negative then.. The joists cant be parrallel..
the general rule for flooring is 1000lbs per square foot, but when your running parrallel, your splitting that in half.. It will hold it.. but you put 5 people in that room and fill the room and your close to max,

Ken Ken

1429153494475585813070_zpsdpbeviqw.jpg

the tank is here! Beautiful tank and stand. Dispointed with the door latches. only one latch works. The other 3 are junk. I find it odd the tank is priced so high with crappy door hardware.

ziggy

photo shows your floor joists are more then 16" on center, most likely 24" OC but because the are the engineered I beams and because your putting the tank right at the end of the joist, you should be OK
From the photo, it looked to me like the TGI's did not sit over each garage door wall stud. and I doubt the wall studs are less then 16" OC. So my guess was the studs are 16" OC, the floor joists are >16" OC and some local codes will allow it if flooring substrate is then 1" or thicker.