150 gallon tank on second floor? Will it hold?

Ken Ken

Hey guys,
I'm planning on installing a 135-150 gallon long (68 to 70 inches long) tank on my second floor bedroom by an exterior wall. Would that be too much tank on a sub-floor? Or what is the largest the subfloor can handle? Its a new home about 1 year old.

DaveK

Hey guys,
I'm planning on installing a 135-150 gallon long (68 to 70 inches long) tank on my second floor bedroom by an exterior wall. Would that be too much tank on a sub-floor? Or what is the largest the subfloor can handle? Its a new home about 1 year old.

If you place the tank and stand so it's across as many joists as possible, you shoud not have an issue with any modern construction.

However, consider carefully, if you really want to do this. It will mean that everything you need for the tank will need to be run upstairs. That can mean a lot of stair climbing. Also, consider how much noise a tank can make, What in no big deal in one room, can be a big problem when your trying to get some sleep in.

Dracko

I agree with Dave. New construction should hold it, but it is hard to determine the actual weight of the tank. How much sand? Rock? What does the sump weigh? How much will other equipment weigh? (water change barrel, RO water barrel, ect.) IMO it is not a good idea. But these are things you will need to know before any engineer can answer the question. Also consider the fact that if something should happen while you are away, and the tank starts draining all that water is going to want to keep going down. Gravity sucks.

Ken Ken

i talked to a tech at innovative marine and they said it should be find considering they have a 170 gallon tank on a second floor. I initially wanted to go with CAD 150 but i think that will just be alittle too much tank so i changed plans to go with innovative marine 120 gallon setup.

ChitownRomeo

First things first are the floors concrete or wood. If they are concrete then I would but not wood. I was scared of a 55 on a wood floor lol. And like Dracko said I would be worried about spills and leaks unless it's Acrylic. And I also agree with DaveK about the stairs lol. I was tired from lugging stuff up 3 flights of stairs for a 55 gallon so I can imagine what you are going to go thru lol. One more thing make sure your insurance covers aquarium damage. I had to add it to my renters insurance. Just another piece of mind.

Ken Ken

I really dont knot what to do :\. Tech at innovative marine tells me im all clear....everyone else says its not a good idea. I notice the tank would be sitting inline with one floor joist. The tank i planned to get was the innovative marine sr120 shallow reef tank. :/

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Ken as I am sure you know... many homes are not build on a slab... and lots have large tanks, hopefully some of the RS members with larger tanks can advise :couch:

I am sure no one wants to tell you wrong... so take all opinions in and then make your best decision

on who's advise to take... checkout this post by the owner of RS Travis Staut - imo some sound wisdom

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/10kfriendsart_.htm

Pat24601

I really dont knot what to do :\. Tech at innovative marine tells me im all clear....everyone else says its not a good idea. I notice the tank would be sitting inline with one floor joist. The tank i planned to get was the innovative marine sr120 shallow reef tank. :/

When I was trying to figure this out, I noticed it wasn't easy either. The truth is most of us aren't structural engineers and we don't know. So, we don't want to give you advice that destroys your home.

My real opinion is you will likely be OK. I've talked to people who have done bigger even and been OK.

That said I'm just some guy on the Internet that knows nothing about your home. So, why would my opinion mean anything?

The bottom line on something like this is its your house and you have to do what you think is appropriate to be comfortable with it. :(

Last edited:

Ken Ken

i think i will give it a go....is there anything i can put under the tank to help in the even of floor deflection? I have heard of some use Styrofoam?

Mayja

Social Media Moderator
RS STAFF
For the past year, I've had my Marineland 90 gallon + 30 gallon sump + 110lbs rock + 4" sandbed in the dining room on the second floor of my apartment. Wood floors beneath carpet. I used a very thick plastic chair mat that matched the length of my tank beneath it. It was almost perfectly level. Never had a weight issue. I jumped up and down in front of it and the tank and floor never moved. The apartment complex was built in 1987.

Ken Ken

i did some calculations on the weight of the tank....estimate the tank filled with water and stand with live rock will be around 1500lbs....do you guys think that is too much weight?

ziggy

thats my concern....the tank will be against the wall with the joists running parallel to the tank.
is there a load bearing wall directly underneath the wall the tank will be against? By joists running parallel, do you mean the end of the floor joist is not under the wall the tank is on, but the end of the floor joists are under the walls on the left and right side of the wall the tank is on?

Ken Ken

is there a load bearing wall directly underneath the wall the tank will be against? By joists running parallel, do you mean the end of the floor joist is not under the wall the tank is on, but the end of the floor joists are under the walls on the left and right side of the wall the tank is on?
down below is the garage door opening. It is against a load bearing wall. Yep the joist run from left to right of the tank. The home is a newly built home about a year old with TJI joists.

ziggy

down below is the garage door opening. It is against a load bearing wall. Yep the joist run from left to right of the tank. The home is a newly built home about a year old with TJI joists.
Based on an open garage door header only, under this aquarium wall, and a SINGLE floor joist running left to right, My engineering background says absolutely DO NOT PUT A LARGE TANK AGAINST THAT WALL. Find a wall where the floor joists end under the wall the tank is against, and there is a bearing wall directly under that tank wall.

My never to be humble opinion...

Pat24601

Based on an open garage door header only, under this aquarium wall, and a SINGLE floor joist running left to right, My engineering background says absolutely DO NOT PUT A LARGE TANK AGAINST THAT WALL. Find a wall where the floor joists end under the wall the tank is against, and there is a bearing wall directly under that tank wall.

My never to be humble opinion...

I'm not even an engineer, so my opinion means less, but I'd agree with this.