13's BSJ heaven

cstamper

BAD NEWS...
I'm sad to inform everyone of the news...and embarrassed....our new BSJ died.
It looks as though there is a predator crab or something in the tank we are not sure yet.
We noticed the BS acting very lethargic, not coming out of his cave. On his final swim he came out and revealed a massive laceration/abrasion to his right ventral side. Unless it was some sort of super-acting, necrotic tissue disease, I think it’s a predator. (Any thoughts?:tears: )
Anyhow, we definitely will get another BSJ, but first we need to find the culprit.
Take care-

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM
Is it possible that the laceration occurred from the PVC or from the rock that surrounded it?

I'm so sorry! :cry1:

cstamper

It very well could have..I filed the PVC edges and sanded them before adding it to the aquascape. Who knows.. It's extremely frustrating.
I've checked the diseases/section of the RS and nothing really grabs my attention. All indication points to trauma.

Thanks for the replies, I'll keep everyone informed when we add the next BSJ.

cstamper

update..
Well we got rid of two crabs that could have been the culprits..however, they were larger emerald greens...I've had great luck with them in the past.....
so we'll see. I think we'll wait a little while longer before we add another one.

bluespotjawfish

I had one of my Bluespots lacerated by a crab. Emeralds can definitely do that! Also gorilla crabs (who hide very well).

cstamper

Thanks Lorraine-
I've removed them, so I think we'll get one soon.
Here in SoCal. I can get them for a reasonable $59-79. I'll update as soon as we get the BSJ.
Take care-

cstamper

How did you get him in there and put that dish over him?

It was an interesting process. I put him in the Tupperware first then slid it down the side of the glass to the bottom..then a quick flip and it was on the substrate.
I've done it twice and it's worked both times....I left the tupperware over the rock/hole until Jaws started digging, Then removed it.

cstamper

Congratulations Chris, how is the new guy doing?

Scott!
Hey..It's great to hear from you.
The new guy is doing great. I was real hesitant to put another one in until I knew it was safe. So far so good. He's really long and fat. He's a voracious eater. We are using the same rock and PVC for it's house. He's staying there so far.

It's neat to hear about the breeding of the guys....makes me want to get another and try. I think I'll wait for more experiance in the reef aquarium world.

I'll get Pics. by Friday to show everyone.
I don't get back to the station until then.
I'll keep you posted!
take care-