130D . . . What's the LED scoop?

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Who has added LED to their RSM 130D tank?

Who has replaced the factory lights with LED?

What did you use (specs please) and how hard was it to do?

I'd LOVE to convert mine over or add some LED supplementation (not just moon lights but REAL PAR producing LED) but don't want to be my own "Guinea Pig".

So let's hear what you did... what you used... and would you do it again?

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Sencha thank you for the links. I'll look into them right now. Let us know how you like them.

:)

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Good thread to get going Allen! I'm seriously considering an AI Sol for my 130, but trying to figure out how I'd mount it, as I don't want a hanging fixture. Ideally I'd somehow use my old 130 hood, but may do something else. Not cheap, but it has all the features I want with their controller - Cree LEDs, programmable maximum intensity of each of the white, blue and royal blue LEDs, a gradual ramping up & down of my selected max. intensity to simulate a sunrise/sunset, programmed monthly lunar cycle, random electrical storms (if wanted), etc. I really like the ability to adjust the light colors to what I prefer. My main concern is the very high PAR and coral bleaching, but with the ability to easily program max. intensity I can hopefully avoid that. With all 70 degree optics I can hopefully get the light spread I want. I haven't pushed the button on ordering yet though. Since replacing the 6 T5s in the fixture I have now would cost about $130 it makes the cost of LEDs easier to justify as they should last for 10 years (more running on lower intensity). The LED pucks are also replaceable/upgradable, which I also like.

AI Sol

It's the only LED fixture that seems to have everything I want, at a price that's lower than the very few others with a decent controller.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Terry that's EXACTLY what I'm looking for! The fact that it's compatiable with my current controller (GHL ProfiLux) makes it a MUST have!

Even without my controller it's a sweet system and has all the bells and whistles. I say "GO FOR IT!". I don't think you'll regret it.

Just make sure to "log" all the steps and take pics. Or better yet when I get the $$ you can come up to WNC and help me do mine :)
On another note here is a link to where someone just installed the Waves in Glass fixture in his hood. He installed the 1w LED but they do have 3w LED available for a higher price.
http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/red-sea-max-owners-club/67871-rsm-stock-hood-led-mod.html

Sencha

Sencha thank you for the links. I'll look into them right now. Let us know how you like them.

:)

Could you let me know what you think. I am so busy studying the zeovit system, that I haven't began to learn about lights and my wee brain can only handle one thing at a time.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Sancha I think your idea is a good one especially if you're wanting to just "supplement" the existing lights in the RSM hood. To be honest I wouldn't use those as a REPLACEMENT for the T5's in the hood but I feel like as a supplement you'll be VERY happy with them. I've added LED strips to several tanks and think it's a great idea for added "Pop" to the coral.

Terry I think you may need to run down to Oceans Floor and pick one up ASAP! :)

steved13

PREMIUM
Yeah Terry, you should go ahead and order one!! Although far be it for me to feed your addiction.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Allen - what's Oceans Floor - have a link to it? If I got the AI Sol I'd probably get it from Reef Geeks. Everyone has been backed up about a month in getting these units - the supply can't keep up with the demand! I like the Sol as you can get their controller for not that much more money, and it does everything I'd want - no way I could cough up the $$$ for a Profilux too! I wish some of the other LED possibilities had something other than timers. I want more than just on/off and manual dimming.

This is from the 250 mods thread but it has the Sol unit starting on page 26 at post 390, and additional pictures on the next page or two:

http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums...lub/47519-post-your-rsm-250-mods-here-26.html

There are several You Tube videos on the Sol too - this is one of the better ones:

YouTube - Aqua Illumination SOL BLUE LED LIGHTING - setup

I'm still concerned that the way LED technology is changing constantly that tomorrow will bring something even better.

There's a very long thread on the AI Sol on that "other" forum - if you want the link let me know and I'll PM it to you.

LOL@Steve - he's been wanting me to be the guinea pig too. :)

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Here you go buddy

Ocean's Floor
179 Halton Road
Greenville, SC 29607
info@oceansfloor.com

I've read extensively about the AI-Sol units and have even seen one driven by a ProfiLux controller. Talk about freaking SWEET! To see the "Clouds" pass over the tank right before the STORM kicks in just makes Allen DROOL! I'm all about some WEATHER!!

Terry once you get your unit (shouldn't be but a couple of weeks right?) I'd like to come down and see it first hand (talk about inviting yourself . . . LOL) on your tank. Just let me know when :)

Would you be trying to "Retro" it into your hood? That would be my goal . . .

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Hi Allen. Thanks for the info. I'd see the thunderstorm video - pretty cool eh? I think there has been one Sol owner that was called by neighbors at night to see if they had electricity shorting out in their house, based on the flashes LOL! I'm not sure if I would run that mode, but we'll see.

I'm not sure if I can mount the Sol in the 130 hood or not. The hood depth (top-bottom) may not be enough room, and I believe the front-back dimension of the spacing for the stock lights is a bit less than the dimension of the Sol. I've even considered cutting through the top of the 130 hood and attaching it from the top.

Another option is to take the guts out of my current 6xT5 hood, and attach it in this. I've never liked to height of this hood, but that extra height might now be good to get the Sol up higher. This is as low as the hood can sit, but it can be raised higher:

FixtureSide.jpg

My other option is to get the 24" Sol rails and legs, then attach a 12" set of rails crosswise on top of these. The Sol mounting is designed to be mounted with the units situated with the long dimension parallel to the sides, rather than the front of the tank, and I need the opposite to get the light spread I want. If I got this route I'll have to make a screen frame for the tank - not a big deal.

OK - I just took a break from this post and ordered the AI Sol Super Blue Module w/ Controller, and 12 & 24" rails. That should cover me on all of my mounting possibilities. This is now my most expensive attack of reef insanity! But at least the cost of replacing T5s is now a thing of the past. Don't look for any quick installations - it may be a month or more till I get the unit and then have time to figure out the mounting.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Hi Eddie. Just one module, and that's all I'll get! I've seen a couple tanks the size of the RSM 130 with just one and it seems more than sufficient. I've only read of a couple people that have been able to run the Sol at 100%. It has so much PAR that even raised up 14" it seems like most run about 50-60% maximum (after starting up much lower and watching the coral reactions as they gradually increase the intensity over time).

redsea reefer

Hi Terry,

OK on the one module. WOW...14" high at 50-60% power, That's a powerful fixture! Can't wait to see it on your tank in a month or so.

Thanks!

Sencha

Sancha I think your idea is a good one especially if you're wanting to just "supplement" the existing lights in the RSM hood. To be honest I wouldn't use those as a REPLACEMENT for the T5's in the hood but I feel like as a supplement you'll be VERY happy with them. I've added LED strips to several tanks and think it's a great idea for added "Pop" to the coral.

Terry I think you may need to run down to Oceans Floor and pick one up ASAP! :)

This is a picture of the tank this morning with just these LED strips on, I just added the sand last night.

Attachments

• IMG_1313.JPG
    IMG_1313.JPG
    37.2 KB · Views: 41