130D Flow Question

rsteen

I bought a used 130D and started my first reef tank a couple of months ago. I have been trolling prior posts, and they have been really helpful. Thanks in particular for posts about changing the hood fans (planning to install Gelid Silent 5s this weekend) and building a silencer for the skimmer airline (stock skimmer is still too loud, but this was a start).

My question is about water flow. Is there a general consensus on where the flow from the circulation pumps should be aimed? Also, are people generally adding additional pumps (eg Hydor Koralia Nano), or just sticking with the stock setup?

Thanks,
Rob

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Hello :wave: and welcome to RS!

Congrats on the set-up!! RSM130D is a great system... I love mine :)

In regards to "flow direction" that's a highly subjective question. It really depends on what you have in your tank (softies or stony coral), where you have them, and what kind of aquascape you have. It's really trial and error.

In regards to pump upgrades.... I think this is an EXCELLENT idea in regards to replacing the stock pumps
http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/intank/82300-rsm-130-d-upgrade-pump-kit.html#post1148587

In regards to adding more powerheads... I think one of the best things I've done for my RSM130D is add the Vortech MP10. It's not cheap but it's worth every single penny IMHO

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members
745.gif

Start a tank thread & share your tank with us so we can follow along, we love pics :dance:

rsteen

Start a tank thread & share your tank with us so we can follow along, we love pics :dance:[/QUOTE]

I don't have much in my tank now (xenia, a few zoas, RBTA and some small fish), but I'm planning to do mostly softies and a few LPS. I will start a tank thread in the near future.

Rob