130 tank move

mbdave

Glenn I have moved many, many, many, many, many, many, tanks. This is what I would do.... Go buy some of those sliding pads at Home Depot or Walmart "where ever" they are hard plastic round with a foam pad on the concave side. Remove loose corals to a tub or bucket of water, drain 2/3rds of the water to a storage container, get a pry bar or a strength guys lift the corners an inch or so "one at a time" and put the sliders under and slide it to the location, put things back. This must be done promptly but not crazy fast remember these animals live at low tides, "dont stop for some beers". If the move involves leaving the carpet it will not work. I have done this quite a few times and not had problems.
Good luck,
Dave

Dweezil

I put those sliders under my tank when I first set it up just in case a situation like this ever happens....so glad I did now.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Thanks for the replies Dave & Tammy !

The tank sitting on Berber carpet & I will just be moving it 15 feet across the room, just didn't know if the hard plastic round with a foam pad on the concave side would work on carpet, right now... the pressure has the tank kind of sitting down in the carpet from compression.

Dweezil

Glenn ~ That's what they are made for (carpet) and I would think Berber would probably be the easiest carpet for those sliders to move on. :)

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Quick question 250 owners - how often are you change out your T5 light bulbs & am I correct it's about $200 to change out the 6 of them?

Can T5's last a year without big color shifts in bulbs?

tnwillia

Glenn... Didn't Mavjoy just post last week about using "sliders" from Home Depot or Lowe's to move his 130?

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Planning ahead is the best thing to do! You'll feel better if you've got a good plan set up (well, a little better at least).

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Glenn... Didn't Mavjoy just post last week about using "sliders" from Home Depot or Lowe's to move his 130?

Tom - he did, that was the 1st time I saw them... he had hardwood floors and somehow I got it in my mind, they didn't work on carpet - but looks like they do :)

Thanks for the feedback - all welcome !

Hey - Anthony - maybe something in this thread well help you get some ideas too !

Nowellsy SNR

The runner idea sounds good but id be scared off something happening

Breaking the tank down sounds so stressful tho

David Shaw

Anthony

What i would do is treat myself and buy a new RSM for the new place :)

I would transfer everything over into the new one and sell the original, getting them to collect it to save you having to physically move it.

Minimal stress :) and a new tank!

Nowellsy SNR

Anthony

What i would do is treat myself and buy a new RSM for the new place :)

I would transfer everything over into the new one and sell the original, getting them to collect it to save you having to physically move it.

Minimal stress :) and a new tank!
Seems like a great idea its getting around the Mrs tho lol