130 tank move

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Terry - I just saw in another thread, a pic you posted showing your tank sits on carpet (as does mine), over the years, have you ever had to move it?

If so how did that go?

I am thinking about a new rsm 250 in 2010 (now that the pump thing is fixed) and I will have to put the 250 in the place of my current 130D. How hard do you think it will be to move a 130 that's on carpet.

Anyone have any advise?

I think I want to move the 130 & re-set it up, then start fresh with the 250, cycle it over 2 or 3 months or so and use new choice Live Rock & work on a really really cool aquascape - then only move over my fish & only a few of my most prized coral, then slowly over time only add some very choice corals.

Then sell my 130D with like 80% of my coral & live rock for like maybe $600, (what I consider a very fair deal for someone - I got $350 of live rock in the tank & several hundred in corals) just to recover some of my cost to pay for some new coral.

Any thoughts?

Still in the dream phase...
schla17.gif
but knowing the new pump is out... making me dream about it some more... have the wife blessing and dollars to implement my dream, just have to decide to pull the trigger, I love my 130D, no problems at all, just think it would be fun to start over & have twice the room & t5's to support some more coral options. I know with the great success I have had with my 1st sw 130D, that a new 250 could really be a showpiece.

bhazard

For someone like yourself upgrading to a bigger tank, I normally wouldnt suggest going for another all in one tank because you end up upgrading all the pieces inside anyway... but you're one of the few who actually had success running stock. Go for it! :)

Keep in mind, you can get some insane deals on used tanks and equipment on craigslist. Remember, I got a 120 gallon tank with stand that just needed a little tlc, skimmer, sump, plumbing, a pump, and overflows for $400. $400! Its my cichlid tank now, but it is all set for when I get the itch (and funds) to go big. Since you now have the experience in running a tank and its equipment, you can really save a ton of money that way and customize it to your liking. You're gonna get the itch and want to upgrade to Metal Halides or LED down the line. Acropora are quite stunning, and the ability to keep any coral you desire is huge.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
thanks for the post...

It's not really a cost thing, our local reef club always has someone selling tanks at fantastic prices, almost one a week, know for sure that the best way to get the most for your dollars.

I just love the looks of the RSM 250, to me, it's the most beautiful tank on the market, any brand and at any price.

I do plan on running it stock - I am 100% sold on the AIO concept, as a system that one can have a beautiful reef tank in
010.gif

and I will always have the option of one day... adding mods or upgrades, if desired, part of the fun.

redsea reefer

I have never moved my tank Glenn but I guess you will have to remove half or more of the water, keep it in a bucket or something, get a few strong people and move it and then fill it back up. probably easier said than done...Will be waiting for the new 250 pics...:)

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Thanks for the post Eddie !

I remember putting the tank on the stand (me & the wife) was a bit heavy, but not too bad & now with around 40 pounds rock now, 30 pounds sand, and water (8 pounds to gallon) say... if I get it down to 15 gallons, that be 120 pounds, so around 200 pounds... plus the weight of the tank... hard for me to figure out... guess maybe I will have to remove all most all the water... then a couple of strong friend might could pick it up... hmmmm... sure I will figure it out, if I want a 250 bad enough :)

redsea reefer

Your welcome Glenn, With just enough water to keep the fish in the tank, 3-4 guys could easily pick it up. I pull out the tank and set it up by myself. Coral can be out of water for a short time.

Oakhouse

Hey Glenn, are you going to put the 250 where the 130 is?? Keep thinking I should just buy another 250 and get that going elsewhere, wonder if I can get that past the other half! Then I wouldnt have the problem I'm facing for a week on Monday. lol

Got my eye on a 400 litre tank on fleabay at the moment. (To help with the move of course!)

When I do work out how I'm going to do, and when I do I'll document it.

Oakhouse

Ok.. Heres a solution... buy a second/third hand cheap nano...

Transfer all to the nano (except substrate.)

Once 130 empty, fill up the 250, seed substrate with that from the 130,
Transfer from nano to 250.

Use nano for water changes. Keep 130, get seahorses!!:bigbounce

redsea reefer

Ok.. Heres a solution... buy a second/third hand cheap nano...

Transfer all to the nano (except substrate.)

Once 130 empty, fill up the 250, seed substrate with that from the 130,
Transfer from nano to 250.

Use nano for water changes. Keep 130, get seahorses!!:bigbounce

Now thats a good plan...:)

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
buying a third one - na lol, that's going in the wrong direction :)

I really don't have room for a 2nd one, I think I am just going to keep it running until I can sell it.

I would sell it 1st, intact & just start over... if somehow I could keep my scooter blenny & my clownfish, I have grown attached to them.

all just fun to think about...

pocketreef

Hi Glenn,

Can't wait for your 250. Are you waiting for the :bow: white?

I'm a fan of the AiO concept as well. However depending on the room temp you will need a chiller, I recommend one anyway. The pumps are ok for softs and LPS, for some sps too.
I'm adding small pumps to help me with algaes and to support more damanding SPS. ATO is a need IMO.

About the move, you could use the 250 as buffer, put 130's water, rocks and animals on it, move the 130 with substract and put stuff back using the opportunity to do a small (20%) water change. Then move the 250 to the definitive location...

LPS should never be inflated when removed from water.

redsea reefer

if somehow I could keep my scooter blenny & my clownfish, I have grown attached to them.

Glenn, you can keep them in a large bucket or bin with a heater and small powerhead and feed every 2 days with water changes...

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Glenn - my apologies - I just saw this thread! Nope, I've never had to move mine since I set it up (thank goodness!). If I ever move it it'll be when I get out of reefing. :)

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Nice idea magnum! getting the tank on the slider might be difficult, but once that's done it would hopefully be easy to relocate it.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
magnum - thanks for the post !

Terry - I didn't remember ever reading in your tank thread that you have ever moved it, just checking :) thxs 4 the reply