130/130D Hood Cooling Fans

StevieT

RS Sponsor
Any one purchase them online before? Or do you have to go direct through Red Sea? Need to get my hands on a pair to export to Greece.

Not coming up with much searching the interweb just the optional cooling fan.

Thanks

redsea reefer

Any one purchase them online before? Or do you have to go direct through Red Sea? Need to get my hands on a pair to export to Greece.

Not coming up with much searching the interweb just the optional cooling fan.

Thanks

If you googled red sea max parts and nothing came up then I think you have to get them from Redsea direct Stevie. Here's their #, 888-733-7329

StevieT

RS Sponsor
I have personally replaced them when I still had a hood. Mine crapped out a month or so into the tank.

I will just shoot Pinky an email. Online ordering is easier to quote in this case. Weird they wouldn't want this out with their other accessories and parts.

Pinky and I are T I T tight lol

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
That is strange that they don't have the hood fans on the sites that sell the other Max parts.

ausreef

you can get them from any computer store or ols they are just a 50x50x15 computer fan, with the 2 wire ones just connect the red and black normally,if you get 3 wire cut off the yellow and use the red and black

Sunon is a good brand,i fitted 2 high output ones to my hood,the rpm is about 30% higher than standard so they are a bit noisier but have taken the water temp down by 2deg

w00t

The ones inside the hood are the same size as the rear cooling fan.

My stock fans died around 6 months in, I also used MagLev fans and they work great. On paper they should last a lot longer than the stock fans due to design.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
The ones inside the hood are the same size as the rear cooling fan.

wow - didn't know that, I have never had my hood apart... if this is the case... sorry - ausreef - I would have guessed by looking in the side of my hood, they were much smaller...

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Isn't the back cooling fan different in that it's enclosed in a fitting that snaps in the back lip? The replacement hood fans aren't in a casing like that.

ausreef

no all 3 fans are the same ,the back one snaps in and the hood ones slide into a channel,if you get the specs of the red sea fan (rpm and cfm) you can go to your local electronics store and check out all the 50x50x15 case fans,youll find some the same as red sea and also ones that are higher rpm/cfm,if you dont mind them a bit louder go for the high output if not you fit the same as standard

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
I don't think a fan could be any louder that my stock hood fans after a few months! It was like a jet engine when they'd start up. Another reason I got rid of the stock hood and skimmer - too much noise!

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
The 130 fans were noisy new, as were the replacements a few years ago. Red Sea must have finally upgraded the fans for the 130D - I think they're the same size as the 130 so hopefully the replacement hood fans are now better too. The only noise I get from my tank now is a tiny hum from the Vortech if I get close. The Orbit hood fans are near silent, and with the skimmer, etc. in the sump it's really nice not to hear anything any more.

w00t

I have the 130 and my fans were quiet, they just didn't last very long. I bought it just before the 130D was released so maybe I got updated ones, either way the ones I replaced them work better than stock.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
no all 3 fans are the same ,the back one snaps in and the hood ones slide into a channel,if you get the specs of the red sea fan (rpm and cfm) you can go to your local electronics store and check out all the 50x50x15 case fans,youll find some the same as red sea and also ones that are higher rpm/cfm,if you dont mind them a bit louder go for the high output if not you fit the same as standard

Learn something new here everyday :) thanks for sharing !

StevieT

RS Sponsor
The 130 fans were noisy new, as were the replacements a few years ago. Red Sea must have finally upgraded the fans for the 130D - I think they're the same size as the 130 so hopefully the replacement hood fans are now better too. The only noise I get from my tank now is a tiny hum from the Vortech if I get close. The Orbit hood fans are near silent, and with the skimmer, etc. in the sump it's really nice not to hear anything any more.

The fans they sent out to me as replacements were much quieter than the original ones. I still think it is hit or miss if they will be silent or not as you experienced. I never had issues with them after replacing and I ran that hood for over year after wards.

Can't say I miss that hood.

The rear cooling fan and the hood fans do look a little different. I think they will fit though. The hood fans have holes in the molding pieces and longer wires. I still have the rear cooling fan so I can double check.

Because I am reselling these I want to give the customer something that works right, I understand you can just get computer fans. I think he would feel better with a RSM sticker on it ;)

Pic from when I updated the cooling fans

IMG_2292.jpg