125 gallon rescue tank

Robzilla

Thanks! What type of angel were you thinking about?

Are you still using the Coralife skimmer that came with it?

Rhodes19

Thanks! What type of angel were you thinking about?

Are you still using the Coralife skimmer that came with it?

I've always been partial to the flame angels, coral beauties, and the lemon peels. There are a few others but I would like to get those first.

I'm not using the Coralife at the moment. I got it working but I was afraid of it overflowing while I was away. What I would like to do is pull the wet dry that's in there now and replace it with a sump of some sort and have the skimmer sit in the sump opposed to having it sit on the out side. If it's in the sump then if it overflows the mess will be contained. I just need some time and resources to make it happen. :)

Robzilla

Nice! I love flame angels.

Good to see it working but it definitely needs to be in a sump. My old one overflowed when i first got it and was using it as a HOB. Eventually I had it in-sump and had a hose draining the cup into a gallon jug.

Rhodes19

Yeah, that's what I want to go for. Cleaner and easier. It was a spur of the moment decision to get the tank (I'm still surprised my wife hasn't skinned me over it :)) and I didn't have anything planed or on hand for it but it can be upgradeable.

Robzilla

Nice. I would end up single if I got a second tank and all I can do is look forward to an upgrade. Can't wait to see your progress!

Rhodes19

Well, I got home from visiting with Frankie last Saturday and had about 5+ gallons of water waiting for me on my wife's wooden floor. :eek: She had some towels on the floor by the time I got there and I used the shop vac to get as much of the rest as I could. Apparently, one of the 1" bulkheads in the over flow started to leak all of a sudden (was fine in the morning). I tightened it, started the pump (after adding more water) and it leaked even more. Fortunately, I had a spare 1" bulkhead and got it installed. Its running fine now but I'm thinking of transferring the fish and urchin into the 180 and shutting the 125 down for now. Time is getting tight and my focus should really be on finishing my 180. What I really would like to do with the 125 when I have more time to play is to remove the plastic overflow, plug the bulkheads and make a coast to coast overflow with a BeanAnimal system. That will allow me to use a bigger pump for more flow. Breaking it down will also let me set it back up they way I want it, not the way it came.

jpsika08

Chris I would have been a dead man if I did this to my wife's floor, you lucky guy LOL

Good decision on the 125, good luck on the transfer :)

Rhodes19

Chris I would have been a dead man if I did this to my wife's floor, you lucky guy LOL

Good decision on the 125, good luck on the transfer :)

Thanks Juan. Yeah, I'm increadabley lucky. If she ever sobers up, I'm in big trouble! LOL

gabrielsfreedom

Hate being the thread necromancer but good read mate.

I'm going to be rescuing a 125 gal in about 6 months good to see positive results.