125 gallon rescue tank

Rhodes19

Yes that is a corallife super skimmer and when i chucked mine i kept the pump for it so if you need it let me know and i can ship it too you.If that is the 120 skimmer.Otherwise great job with the new tank and have fun.

Hi seabass. Thanks. I'll be playing with it over the next couple of days. If it needs a new pump, I will definitely give you a holler. :)

Rhodes19

Great tank, that's the same as mine except I've got the black stand.

Hi jjmoneyman,

Thanks. It is a nice tank and a lot lighter than I expected. Once the fish are healthier, I think I will do some rockscaping and make a few changes. Right now I want to stress them out as less as possible.

Rhodes19

Ok, here are the first water parameters for the 125:

SG 34 ppm
pH 8.1
Alk 156 ppm (8.7 dkH) Hanna Checker
Phos 0.71 ppm Hanna Checker
NH3 1.5 mg/l
NO2 0.3 mg/l
NO3 12.5 mg/l

The living room is starting to smell a little funky. I guess we have some curing going on. Hopefully, it wont get too bad and I won't get in trouble with my wife. :(

Well, I guess we will be keeping all the fish after all. I was planning on moving the blue and yellow tang to my 180 after they are healthy and out of QT, keep the yellow tail damsel in the 125, and sell the maroon clown and the convict damsel, and start collecting angles but my wife has just informed me that she likes all of them and has given the maroon a name. I hope he likes being called Bob! The yellow tail I named Repete in honer of Frankie's yellow tail damsel Petie that he gave me for my 180. My wife also told me that we need to come up with a nice frilly girl's name for the yellow tang. I can only imagine what she is going to come up with for the rest of them. LOL

Rhodes19

Well, I cleaned up the lights last night. They are made by Current but there is no model number. Each fixture has 4, 39w T5 HO bulbs, a single big reflector, 3 whitish moon lights, and a fan that runs constantly whether the lights are on or not. There are 2 power cords (one for actinics and one for day light) and 2 transformers (one for the fan and one for the moon lights). I cleaned them both up but only 4 out of the 8 bulbs work so I'll have to buy some new ones.

I only have one fixture on the tank at the moment.

125lightson1.jpg

125lightson2.jpg

125lightson3.jpg

125lightson4.jpg

Rhodes19

Ok, this evenings test results:
Ammonia 1.5 mg/l
Nitrites 0.3 mg/l
Nitrates 12.5 mg/l
pH 8.2mg/l

No change. I'll check it in another day or so.

Rhodes19

Well, I have been officially notified by my wife that the yellow tang has been given a frilly girl's name. She is now called Annabella. The 3 convict damsels may be named, Larry, Moe and Curly! Still in negotiations on that one. :D

Rhodes19

I swapped out the T5 fixture and replaced it with a 6' PC light fixture. I think it gives more light than the T5 with it's 4 bulbs. Granted, I only had one 3', 4 bulb T5 fixture on it but I still think the PC's look brighter. We'll see.

PC light with flash

125lightspc1.jpg

PC light without flash

125lightspc2.jpg

T5 without flash

125lightson2.jpg

jjmoneyman

RS Sponsor
I think if you go with new ATI or other quality T5 bulbs you'll find it is much brighter than PC. That has been my experience.

Rhodes19

Hi Chris,

That's what I was thinking too. I've been keeping a close eye on him but I haven't seen any aggressive behavior from him yet or from any of the others either. I'm sure now that they have food on a regular basis, there probably won't be any aggression. The yellow tang is definitely looking much better, you can't even see the torn fins any more.

Rhodes19

Hi Rob,

Good thanks. I've been busy and haven't had much time to do anything with it other than wc, top offs and feeding. The fish have really plumped up and are looking a whole lot better. Especially the tangs and the yellow tail damsel. Fins are growing back and they all have a healthy appetite and love to come chat with you as you approach the tank. :) Once I get my 180 cleaned up a little more, I may transfer the tangs to the 180 and play with the rockscape in the 125. I'm thinking of putting in a shallow sand bed for a better appearance. I'd like to up grade the lighting but that will be a while. It came with 2, 3' T5 HO fixtures (4 bulbs each) and no IDR :(. 4 of the 8 bulbs were dead and I haven't replaced them yet). Right now I have the 6' PC lights over it and its ok for now with it being a FOWLR but I would like more light in there. At some point I wouldn't mind putting an eel in there and some angel fish. I'd like to upgrade the sump at some point as well.