10g Nuvo Lagoon build

StirCrayzy

It's doubtful the amount of WC or frequency had anything to do with their happiness. I would suspect mis balanced params maybe something wasn't quite right, PH, temp? Source water contaminant? TDS?
Are they still pouty, or any better now.?

zchauvin

6eec8ceab119feccd8ed6b1ade0e1a25.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zchauvin

Ok, can't post a pic because nothing looking so hot at the moment. I completely re scaped the tank, and added the following - frogspawn, green nepthea, green sinularia, tail spot blenny, yellow watchman goby, and cleaner shrimp. once all is well and opened up Ill add some updated pics!

zchauvin

If anyone has some advice, my leathers and Xenia look like crap - water is milky - kh of my new mixed water is 11 and tank only 7. The nepthea I bought was about 8" tall and right now it looks like a weeping dying leather. All lps look fine with exception of Duncan which never really opens to begin with.

73f935b45cb67df4fdb9db8430e78c2b.jpg

If anyone has some advice, my leathers and Xenia look like crap - water is milky - kh of my new mixed water is 11 and tank only 7. The nepthea I bought was about 8" tall and right now it looks like a weeping dying leather. All lps look fine with exception of Duncan which never really opens to begin with.

Post all your parameters and maybe someone can help you. 7kh is a little low.
Where's the big brain looking coral that was up front. I liked the look of him. A wilsoni I think you called him.

Sent from my Venue 8 3830 using Tapatalk

StirCrayzy

Likely shock from the Kh difference between the tank and WC . Also possible ammonia, two fish added to a (pretty new) 10g tank is substantial, even though not large fish.

zchauvin

It was a Symphyllia Wilsoni. And thanks, I liked him too but too much $$$$.

Stir, I removed one fish and just replaced with one +1. So technically only added one fish. Every time I check nitrates I get nothing. Today water was kh 11 in new water but I used anyways. Brought kh in tank up to 8 from 7. Will just leave it alone for a while and start feeding a lot less. Why would kh in my tank be so low compared to new water when I'm using same batch of salt. Many times I have been told I did not have to dose because I had nothing to remove from water + doing large frequent changes would be more than efficient.

Likely shock from the Kh difference between the tank and WC . Also possible ammonia, two fish added to a (pretty new) 10g tank is substantial, even though not large fish.
Stability is important.
Safe to say it's stocked. Corals add to bioload too.

StirCrayzy

What's your ph and Mag? Something is out of balance to throw your #'s off . I agree, You should have no problem maintaining everything with WC.

Did you add more rocks.

What's your ph and Mag? Something is out of balance to throw your #'s off . I agree, You should have no problem maintaining everything with WC.
If parameters drop too low during the week and then a water change brings them up. Would you say the corals get stressed from too fast an increase?
Also would out of line kh. Cal. And mag. Cause pH flucuation

zchauvin

No ph test since I got rid of apex and mag is only Red Sea and reads high all the time. The issues didn't start until yesterday. Only thing I did different was add the leathers. Not sure. Yes I added more rocks. They are fake and have no matter than can break down, would not cause mini cycle. When I did rescape nothing was out of water for more than a minute or so, and no sand was stirred up. Like I said, I would say it is chemical imbalance, except for the fact that no other coral is effected. Only Xenia, and two leathers. And then, the nepthea was laying on top of Xenia - it has started to open now and the Sinularia isn't perfect but it does look better. Duncans have opened as well. Nepthea looks like crap.

zchauvin

I feel like I try to kill my coral all the time... This nano is so much more of a pain. In two days time - water change water had higher kh, temp was much higher than tank water, snail blocked overflow and caused ATO to drop salinity from 1.026 to 1.021.. Or maybe I read refractometer wrong. Man oh man how I love my reef.

Oh.. And when looking at any other tank than mine the flow is much greater. My leathers don't move, much less sway. If I add powerhead, it becomes too much for my euphyllia. I've already had to give away a $$ very pretty hammer because I had too much flow for it but not enough for anything else.

No ph test since I got rid of apex and mag is only Red Sea and reads high all the time. The issues didn't start until yesterday. Only thing I did different was add the leathers. Not sure. Yes I added more rocks. They are fake and have no matter than can break down, would not cause mini cycle. When I did rescape nothing was out of water for more than a minute or so, and no sand was stirred up. Like I said, I would say it is chemical imbalance, except for the fact that no other coral is effected. Only Xenia, and two leathers. And then, the nepthea was laying on top of Xenia - it has started to open now and the Sinularia isn't perfect but it does look better. Duncans have opened as well. Nepthea looks like crap.

Oh cool. I love your setup. I'm just starting to add corals to my tank. I'm following along so I can learn more.
Regular testing of all parameters should help you nail down the imbalance.
Thanks for sharing.

zchauvin

Oh cool. I love your setup. I'm just starting to add corals to my tank. I'm following along so I can learn more.
Regular testing of all parameters should help you nail down the imbalance.
Thanks for sharing.

Good luck. Hopefully your turn out is better than mine. I'm at a record for patience right now as I've had probably 6 tanks in four years. If not more. This one is really starting to irritate me as well, especially after dumping money into a bigger tank to be told I couldn't have it a week later.

Good luck. Hopefully your turn out is better than mine. I'm at a record for patience right now as I've had probably 6 tanks in four years. If not more. This one is really starting to irritate me as well, especially after dumping money into a bigger tank to be told I couldn't have it a week later.
That sucked. Smaller tanks are tougher so if you can do this your set for future endeavors. I think your earlier hunch was accurate that smaller more frequent water changes are gonna help with stability.
My Duncan has survived a year but I lost the next 2 i tried.
Keep on reefing and good luck.