• Just trim out around glass and leave wall like it is

Votes: 20 76.9%
  • Cut access above tank.

Votes: 6 23.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MattShack

This weekend's projects:

This is going to be the sump. The plywood is sticking up above the frame so when I put the liner in, I can wrap it over the plywood and then I will put the rest of the framing on top. This will sandwich the pond liner between the boards, hopefully keeping it in place.

122009sumpframe.JPG

122009sump.JPG

122009sumpinside.JPG

MattShack

The tank room:

The room is "L" shaped. It is 5' x 11' where the tank sits and I have 7' x 11' area on the side of the tank.

Framing

122009tankroomframe.JPG

Drywall

122009tankroomdrywall.JPG

Inside (Standing at door)

122009tankroominside1.JPG

Inside (Standing by tank facing door. The door is to the left just out of the pic.)

122009tankroominside2.JPG

As you can see I still have to do the entire inside of the tank room. But, I have to finish the outside first (My wife is "tired of my mess" :lol: )

MattShack

pH update:

The pH has been holding at below 7 for the last 4 days. I test everyday and haven't noticed any change in 2 days. Finally starting to look good. Not too bad for almost 2000 lbs of concrete.

Kelasche

Hey Matt,
Beautiful work...I would like give it a try. I'm new to this site but have read your entire thread and am truly amazed. I was wondering if you could post some of the materials such as the epoxies and cement used to make your aquarium? Thanks,
Kel

MattShack

It has been 1 week now since I've added anything to the tank to adjust the pH. It is still unchanged and holding below 7.

MattShack

Hey Matt,
Beautiful work...I would like give it a try. I'm new to this site but have read your entire thread and am truly amazed. I was wondering if you could post some of the materials such as the epoxies and cement used to make your aquarium? Thanks,
Kel

Thanks Kel and welcome to RS

I used regular a/c plywood (cheap stuff). I used double 1/2" sheets because I had seams and it was cheaper than a single layer of 3/4". I put a coating of epoxy resin on both halves before they were stuck together to laminate and make them essentially one 1" thick piece.

I used epoxy resin from US Composites 635 Thin Epoxy Resin. Epoxy resin is not very UV stable and will break down over time under the lighting we use in the tanks. After the epoxy had cured for 3 days, I sanded and painted over the epoxy resin with epoxy paint that is made for aquaculture. The epoxy paint is a harder finish than the resin and it is also more UV stable. The epoxy paint is Sweetwater brand from Aquatic Eco Systems Sweetwater Epoxy Paint.

I got the fiberglass from Thayer Craft They were by far the cheapest source I could find.

Kelasche

Hey Matt,

Just wondering if you have ever thought of using a black graphite powder mixed with epoxy. I recently finished building a 17.5 foot sea kayak and used this mixture to protect the bottom of the kayak from rocks while paddling. I believe it protects from UVs as well. Toxic?
What are your thoughts?

Thanks,
Kel

MattShack

I don't know if the graphite powder would be toxic or not. It sounds like if it's not toxic and does protect from UV, then it would be good to use. You might try to research a little online or contact the manufacturer to see if it's toxic or not. Someone here on RS might be able to help. I used a black dye on the top few coats of epoxy before I painted with the epoxy paint.

If you build a 17.5 foot sea kayak, then you shouldn't have any problem building an aquarium. This was the first time I ever used epoxy and fiberglass and I didn't have any problems. You already have some experience with the process. :)

Kelasche

Yes the epoxy and fiberglass was a little tricky at first but after working with it.. its pretty easy. The trick when glassing a kayak hull is to have everything set up and ready to go...planning is the key. I would think it would be the same with your tank. It is very tempting to build a 1000 to 2000 gallon tank but I think when the time comes I will create a 500 gallon reef. How are you going to deal with getting the live rock and animalia to stock your reef. ( Which is Sweet by the way) Those items are quite costly! Ouch!
You brought up a good point about UV radiation breaking down epoxy...How long do you figure your tank will last. The background should help prevent that quite a bit. Oh by the way what type of cement was that?
Thanks Matt...You've created a master piece!

Be Well,
Kel

Ps; I couldn't stop laughing when I saw your daughter swimming inside the tank while cleaning the glass. OMG! childhood dream come true!:snrkl:

MattShack

I have all of the live rock I need. I have a little less than 2000 lbs of DIY rock built into the tank. I also have about 200-300 lbs of live rock in other tanks.

I plan on buying the bulk of the livestock soon after the tank cycles. After that, I'll just add things slowly.

I think the tank will outlast me :)

The background should help with the UV. Any exposed epoxy will be above the water line and most of that will get covered, probably with black acrylic.

The cement was type I portland cement.

Thanks Kel, she has asked to swim in it again. :)

Kelasche

Hey Matt,

Is the plan to add 200lbs of live rock on top of the cement infra-structure and then let nature take its course... will you be handling the buffering/pH more un naturally by adding buffer to the water as needed?

bests,
Kel

MattShack

Some of the live rock will go on some flat "shelves" that I made for it. Some will go on the sand.

My goal is for everything to be as natural as possible, but will add buffer when needed.

cindyp

take lots of pictures of the entire job and of it finnished. keep all reciepts for everything including equipment, livestock,live rock ,salt ,cuc everything then put in on your homeowners insurance policy. I wouldn't have a tank without it...:)