Should I cut access above tank or just trim out like it is

• Just trim out around glass and leave wall like it is

Votes: 20 76.9%
  • Cut access above tank.

Votes: 6 23.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

BigJay

seriously that tank is just soo sick! I think I said that 20 pages ago but I just had to repeat it.

brikeibur

OMG this tank is really awesome.

I am so jealous...I just wish I had a room/house large enough for something like that...how fun!!

Although, I would have to win the lottery first...while I can see you did it the money-saving DIY method, stocking it with fish/corals is gonna be where the real money comes in.....

BEAUTIFUL tank....I look forward to seeing more.

MattShack

:lol: Rescue team found me :lol:

I have been slacking a little :D Been working on my real job. :D

I have also been doing a few experiments trying to figure out how to do a background. This past weekend, I figured out something and gave it a try. I started the background last night and I think it's going to turn out fine. I plan on posting some pics by the end of the weekend.

sneaks03

Whew found him and it took almost my entire tank of air. Almost lost me as well...lol...J/K. Glad to see you made it back bud, can't wait to see the background.

wazzifam

So glad we didnt need to break into the extra tank stash!
Welcome back
looking forward to the background shots!!

MattShack

Finally an update :D

I've been working on some type of background. I originally tried to put a thin layer of the same mix I used for the rocks on some of the fiberglass mat I had left over. The mix was too dry and didn't stick. It peeled off in sheets. I spent a few days thinking of other ideas when it hit me. Why not try to stick the pieces that peeled off to the wall. So, what I did was put some plastic down and poured two large areas of thin DIY rock. The plastic gave the rocks a flat back.

This is the background after I finished laying all of the cement.

092009makingbackground.jpg

I broke the pieces off and used Great Stuff foam to stick them to the walls.

092009background3.jpg

092009background1.jpg

MattShack

I let the foam cure over night and tested the bond. I couldn't remove them if I wanted to. I couldn't get them to budge. I'll consider it a permenant bond.

I then filled in between the glued on pieces with some more cement mix. Throwing it into the cracks made the job much easier and faster. I started off trying to place the cement in each crack and it was too smooth. Throwing it gave it the same finish as the rocks.

092009background2.jpg

092009background4.jpg

MattShack

This is what it looks like now. I thought about using foam, but I was a little concerned about how long it would last. I figured the cement gives the walls the same look as the aquascape.

092009background6.jpg

092009background5.jpg

092009background7.jpg

092009background8.jpg

MattShack

I'm going to let the cement cure for a few days and get in there and peel off the foam that squeezed through some of the holes to clean it up.

But, now I also have to wait for 28 days for the cement on the walls to cure before I can fill the aquarium and cure the rocks and background underwater. I wish I could do it faster, but I don't want to rush it.

I plan on filling the tank and starting that process on Oct 17th.

bdesper311

Wow, this is truly amazing... I have been following along for almost 6 weeks and each update I think that it cannot get any better! And by the way I have just marked Oct 17 on my calander to watch for updates!