Search results

1. K

Starting nem tank day 1

Well as I have had some time to think further about the nem n reef tank, I'd say the best way would be a larger tank with the nem part sectioned off. Currently I have a fresh tank with grating separating a flowerhorn n green terror...it works. Thus all of the overflows powerheads would be on the...
  2. K

Starting nem tank day 1

Hi Thanks for connecting. At the moment it's just sand n rock, no scaping yet. I'm cycling the rank with microbert7, should be ready for fish in 2 weeks. I'll move my Clarkii in it first. We had a carpet anenome in our reef tank...not a good idea. They are Fish vacuums so back to LFS it went. So...
  3. K

Tank glass vs acrylic

Just got back from not so local LFS. First time there great salt selection. Going to do fish only live rock. My rock has been in garbage can heated for 3 weeks. While i resealed the tank. It has ammonia...I don't understand how that's possible but it is what it is...dam and I thought it was...
  4. K

Tank glass vs acrylic

I agree. Looking for new tank but nobody seems to carry any reef, overflow, tanks. Geees you think reef store would carry something...only monster 150 gallon tanks. I have most all equipment now just need good tank n another light. Light depending on the tank. Going to use one sump for 2 reef tanks.
  5. K

Tank glass vs acrylic

Thanks everyone, sorry for delay reply as multiple work deadlines were this week. I thought that would be the case but why not ask. Thinking about starfire glass on front but will use old corner tank for now. Thanks again
  6. K

Why do so many people leave the Hobby?

The best part is that a tank is "Living Art". I kept Bonsai trees, grew them myself nothing expensive, after my best tree pasted on that was it for me. My son's baseball was just more important. That's over so now its tank time.
  7. K

Tank glass vs acrylic

Ok...I read all the info glass vs acrylic. Has anyone had both? I like acrylic because the view should be clearer. Glass because it's cheaper. Budget 300 I can diy.
  8. K

HELP! Effects of odd lighting on Corals/Fish

It will probably freak some of your fish out but look cool. If you didn't paint the back of your tank you could string colored lights behind it. We have to move our tree placement this year because of a orb tank in the corner, lol. I'll try the lights behind it tomorrow.
  9. K

Why do so many people leave the Hobby?

I'm relatively new to fish n coral keeping but I'd say in this world of immediate satisfaction the knowledge level, continued maintenance and short term immediately failure is just too much. Money/equipment alone doesn't guarantee success, only a quick replacement. I happen to love a challenge...
  10. K

Starting nem tank day 1

Hello all, This section seems light on posts. We are starting a new nem tank. Tomorrow will be day 1 only 6 more months to go before we add a nem lol. I have a corner tank with a overflow. Any advice on blocking overflow from nems? Thanks
  11. K

Upgrading Tank need suggestions (lights-skimmer)

Hey kman, I'm new reefer but from looking and buying seems like octopus reef classic 150 skimmer and lights two possibles Ai prime two I have these and you control it with your phone app, you can piggy back the second one off the settings of the first. Or two kessil 160 they are manual settings...
  12. K

AI Prime Tank mount bracket question.

I have Ai prime and made my own bracket out of pvc. I don't know how to post picture yet. Thus I could easily adjust it however I'd like. Yes I know a picture would be great here.
  13. K

Artificial reefs (Ocean)

It's old but I'm new here. Thought it deserved a funny back.
  14. K

Artificial reefs (Ocean)

Bump I say go for it. You might want to reinforce your stand. Lol
  15. K

Whip's 92 Gallon Corner Bowfront Chronicle

Either use paper taped or paint it. If your bottom is purple and you like it, don't over think it. Paper is just an easy way to change it up. I put sand because I need the substrate for add bacteria. I'm still newbie. 7 months or so. Glad it was helpful.
  16. K

Whip's 92 Gallon Corner Bowfront Chronicle

Hi you're going to have a good time with this set up. I saw a 92 corner tank on cl but passed as I'm just done re siliconed a 55 corner, geees a big job. To test bottom colors try taping different color paper to the bottom, if you can get to it. You could try anything that way. We used metallic...
  17. K

Skimmer which 1?

Thanks Pal n Dave, It's been quite a day. Got credit from LFS, set up new 55g tank, look at multiple skimmers....oh no 55g tank leaks... run to HD get DAP aquarium silicone... put sand n rock in garage cans.... get razor blades n cut apart corner tank... not break glass amazing it didn't break...
  18. K

Skimmer which 1?

Davek btw. If I buy from BRS is there a way RS could get credit for the order? thanks Ken
  19. K

Just joined Hello Everyone

Hey Davek Thanks yes I'm aware I need an established tank for at least 6 months. But I have to start sometime. Son n I love the BTA at LFS. We were just considering angels n trigger until we could at BTAs. Do you know if they would go together? FYI I read karenanemone site from a recommendation...
  20. K

Skimmer which 1?

Thanks Davek, see above post thanks for your help. Ken