Search results

1. AFrederick

pump malfunction?

I have an RSM C130. About every 30 seconds but with no discernable pattern, my return is shooting out bursts of micro-bubbles. The first thing I did to attempt diagnosis was shut off the skimmer. The random bursts of micro-bubbles persisted. What do you think is happening and how do I fix it?
  2. AFrederick

"Dragon Soul" brain color off? Help?

I have a frag of "dragon soul" that might be distressed and I need your advice! It's some kind of brain coral I guess but not sure exactly what. When I put it in the tank on 1/15/16 it had vibrant purple ringing the neon green coralites. Between then and now, the purple has faded, turning a...
  3. AFrederick

winter power outage

Power went out this morning, about 9:30 am. 32 F outside. Poorly insulated, 50-yr-old duplex. Only 34 gallons of water in the RSM C130. I went to work; my wife's office was closed. She texted me at work and said the tank temp dropped from 77.5 to about 76 between 9:30 and 11:30. The house...
  4. AFrederick

prioritizing next C-130 upgrade

I need the group's advice on the next most important upgrade for our C-130. The tank has been up since October 2015. It has 2 little clowns and a small CUC (5 hermits and 3 snails). The clowns seem very healthy and we want to start adding corals. The long-term plan is some zoas, some LPS...
  5. AFrederick

PODS?!

I was staring at the new tank (RSM C-130, my first SW tank), and I'm getting frustrated with all these "microbubbles." I read I was supposed to raise the water level to make the skimmer stop pumping out the tiny bubbles. Didn't help. So I turned off the skimmer to see if I could get rid of...
  6. AFrederick

Calling all LED experts!

I posted this message in my tank thread but figured I might have a better chance of getting responses here so sorry for the re-post: I need help picking a color combination from Steve's LEDs for my RSM C130. I am mailing Jeff at Steve's my hood tomorrow to get the new v5.0 prototype. Very...
  7. AFrederick

The Fredericks' RSM C130

I just put together an RSM C130 in my kitchen. Now I'm brewing up some RO/DI to fill it. Regarding this new BRS 6 state universal plus filter system I got: Apparently I've got pretty good water pressure. When I started the faucet, the pressure gauge ahead of the RO filter maxed out so I...
  8. AFrederick

bio balls compared to live rock

With respect to biological filtration, why do people say bio balls are bad but then say live rock is good? Bio balls are sometimes called "nitrate factories" but nobody seems to be taking their live rock out and rinsing it every week or however often people are saying to clean bio balls...
  9. AFrederick

Live rock or dead?

about to set up a new rsm c130. New to salt water. I've been reading some horror stories about bad hitchhikers coming from live rock. I'm leaning toward this dry rock they sell on marine depot. It's mined on dry land in FL. Supposed to be very porous. Gets great reviews. I'm thinking of...
  10. AFrederick

Hello

Andrew Frederick here. I've been fascinated by aquariums (aquaria?) all my life. My favorite trip as a kid was getting to go see the Shedd in Chicago. So far, I've only had a couple small fresh water tanks. But I have an RSM C130 scheduled for delivery on Monday! I cannot wait to get a reef...