Live rock or dead?

AFrederick

about to set up a new rsm c130. New to salt water.

I've been reading some horror stories about bad hitchhikers coming from live rock. I'm leaning toward this dry rock they sell on marine depot. It's mined on dry land in FL. Supposed to be very porous. Gets great reviews.

I'm thinking of putting a 20lb sack of Carib sea arag alive special grade reef sand below the dry rock.

I've got time. Will the live sand get the rock going? I hear people saying to "seed" the dry rock with a piece of live but that would defeat the purpose of using dry, right?

Please point me in the right direction! Tank arrives tomorrow!! Whoohoo!!!

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Congrats on the arrival of your new RSM C130 :yeehoo:
Are you planning on building it into a Reef Setting or FOWLR?
(Fish Only With LR) :fishy::fishy::fishy:
Why I ask is, You not only get hitchhikers from your LR additions but also when you purchase corals to add to your tank IF You are going to add corals. There will be good ones & (unfortunately) bad ones as well. It's all part of having a reef tank. And honestly, part of the fun & excitment of a SW tank.

AFrederick

I'd like a reef tank. A good variety of corals and invertebrates. I understand with a ~30 gal tank I'll only get a couple fish but that's all right until I have more room.

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Getting really POROUS rock is good...lighter weight w/more surface area for good bacteria growth. :)
You might have less chance of getting bad hitchhikers going with the dry & you could build your rockscape outside of the tank without worrying about what was inside of it dying while you sculpt your swim-throughs & caves. (If you plan on them) That would be an advantage of buying dry rock.
If I were starting over, Honestly, I think I would go that route.

Just HAVE PATIENCE because the initial cycle may take a little longer without the addition of mostly wet LR.
Hope you start a tank thread & share your build from the beginning.
Lots of good help here from experienced nice members. :thumbup:

AFrederick

Thanks Diana! I will definitely start a tank thread. I have loved following others from unboxing the tank, through scaping, stabilizing parameters, and stocking.

Hopefully I'll be able to start putting the tank and stand together tomorrow night!

I think my next purchase is a rodi system. Any suggestions for which one? Some say "spectra pure" some pointed me toward a "typhoon" system from air water and ice. There are lots of specifations and buzzwords to confuse the uninitiated.

I believe in "buy once; cry once" but I'm also trying not to waste money on useless features. Advice?

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
IMO, buying a RO-Di system is a very smart purchase!!
I bought mine from BRS. 5-Stage 75GPD it was around $200.
Has worked great, easy to change out the membranes & I've always gotten 0 (zero) TDS readings.
Looking now, they have several to choose from.
I also make my drinking water for home use with my system....BRS offers free shipping for orders over $75. also.
(Off site link) http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/brs-6-stage-drinking-reef-ro-di-system-75gpd.html

SubRosa

I've set up numerous tanks for myself and others over the years, and the next one I set up for myself will be started with dry rock. The thought of never having to remove coralline algae from places I don't want it is just irresistible.

3dees

pro's and con's for each. people have trouble with the dry rock leaching phosphates leading to algae problems. I set my 120 gal. with all live rock. I guess I got lucky because I didn't have any pests. live rock can also come with some nice surprises like coral, sponge, etc. nice thing was my tank cycled in ten days.