Search results

1. G

considering a 220 gal

Hi Nick, Sounds like a great deal. Bigger is always better IMHO ;) With Any large size aquarium you should seriously consider an aquarium controller. I will never have another system with out my Apex running the show. My Apex performs automatic water changes and a host of other tasks. Not...
  2. G

Other hobbies

I guess I should add my CJ7 to my list of other hobbies Greg Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  3. G

Mugshot thread!

Me and the kids out sailing. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  4. G

Tank set up...help

The sump/refugium is your filter. Canister filters are more of a freshwater toy :) Your primary filter will be a biological filter. The micro fauna and bacteria the live in the live rock and sand break down the waste. It takes time for this biological cycle to start working. This is referred...
  5. G

Most unique dives?

Most unique dive was off the coast of Ireland. Water was bloody cold 48f. The dive master had befriended a female Conger Eel. Biggest darn eel I've every seen. Made those green morays look like minors. Sat on the bottom at about 20' feeder her herring for about 20 minutes and freezing my but...
  6. G

Tank set up...help

Honestly, I would just fill the void will silicone and add the sand. The chamber does not need to be water tight. It only provides a space for creatures and algae to flourish. If a little water leaks out the bottom you won't likely even notice. You might even be able to place some screen mesh...
  7. G

BRS Summer Group Buy! Sign up! (you dont actually have to buy anything either)

Oow oow add me :) Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  8. G

Tank set up...help

Okay, a side picture might help but I'll give it a go. I would use the square tower as designed, let that be the overflow. If your lucky you might even be able to fit a filter shock on the PCV pipe as it enters that square chamber. The water then overflows into the second compartment. I would...
  9. G

Other hobbies

Mine sailing Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  10. G

Hmmm... Can you do too many/much water changes?

In general, small frequent changes will provide a more stable environment that a few large changes. I change (my Apex does) 4% every other day. Less bad stuff builds up and more good stuff is replenished so the tank parameters stay very stable. This opposes to doing a 25% water change every...
  11. G

Hermit crab with barnacle?

No, they won't hurt anything. If the barnacles are alive, even better. They are filter feeder so there's not much to worry about ;) Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  12. G

Pictures At Last: Sick Wall Hammer

You tank parameters look fine. No Alk tester yet, I'm guessing. I like the Hanna tester. I am suspicious of your lights. If you just upgraded a week or so ago, what were you using before? It's likely that the poor lighting contributed to the corals demise and it's likely they were unhappy...
  13. G

Tank set up...help

I looks like the conversion would be fairly easy. The tank is drilled so that's a good start. I would remove the egg crate looking stuff and toss the bio balls. It looks like that would give you at least two or three chambers. The last photo showing the strainer, this is where you would...
  14. G

Tank set up...help

Looks like a old wet/dry filter. The blue balls were typically used in that design. I would get rid of the balls and convert it into a sump/refugium. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  15. G

Reef safe star?

Most of the brittle/serpent stars are considered reef safe. The exception is the green serpent star. These have been know to take small fish. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  16. G

One Huge Worm

Amphipod vs. Bristle worm, could make a good "B" movie for SciFi channel, right up there with Sharknado ;) The pods and feeder shrimp in my refugium seem to spend most of there time in the masses of algae and I do not feed them directly. I've got a bunch of amphipods so I assume they are happy...
  17. G

Help finding a show stopper

It's hard to beat a jawfish, just do darn cute. Watching them construct a burrow is absolutely amazing :) Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  18. G

Diving Into the Deep End

Best advise is to take your time, don't rush things. Think in terms of months and years, not days. Your own personal ecosystem takes time to develop and mature. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  19. G

One Huge Worm

Bristle worms are scavengers so their population is self regulating. If you over feed, have a high bio load, you get more worms. If your tank is crawling with them your probably over feeding. Personally, I like the guys. I have half a dozen or so big ones in my 150 gal DT and they do a good...
  20. G

Cool worm ID

Pretty sure this is what he is... Capitella capitata - Description and feeding behavior match the description. Capitella capitata is a deposit-feeding detrital consumer (Henriksson 1969, Levin et al. 1996). Individuals feed by everting a papillose sac-like proboscis to gather detrital deposits...