Tank set up...help

tank stalker

So my wife was lucky enough to stumble across this deal with this 75 gallon tank but unfortunately I'm not sure what some of it is in the lower tank
aquhagy6.jpg
ga2eme4e.jpg

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

gpdno

Looks like a old wet/dry filter. The blue balls were typically used in that design. I would get rid of the balls and convert it into a sump/refugium.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

tank stalker

I asked a person about that and I was told it would take a lot of work and would just easier to be left as is

jrose323

I can't speculate to well from the Pics posted, but it shouldn't be too difficult. The benefit you will get from a refug far outweighs the work and time you will put into it. Then again, I find that type of work enjoyable :)

Snid

The problem with Bio Balls is that they become an additional chore that you must attend to or else you'll run the risk of water parameters going adrift. The Bio Balls can trap a lot of gunk, and if they aren't cleaned regularly (like once every week or two weeks), will cause Nitrate problems.

The initial idea behind them was to create a lot of surface space for beneficial bacteria to live and keep the Nitrogen cycle going. It is a good thing. The problem always ends up being the maintenance they require as mentioned above. They are often too easy to neglect and create more hassle than they are worth. Besides, the Live Rock in your tank should have all the bacteria you need, so the Bio Balls become redundant. A refugium requires little to no maintenance once it is up and running in comparison. Throw in some Chaeto algea with a couple pieces of Live Rock. Then you have a place to throw any of the unwanted hitchhikers you might get that you can't find the heart to terminate.

If not a refugium, then I would suggest some mechanical filtration or something. Perhaps some Charcoal and/or Phosban. Even that would be better than using the Bio Balls in my opinion.

FYI - When I got my sump, it too came with Bio Balls, and I don't use them.

tank stalker

So how would I go about changing it over and really how much of a problem would out be

reefer gladness

So how would I go about changing it over and really how much of a problem would out be

Think we need some better pics of the sump to answer that, difficult to see the layout in these pics. From what I can see it doesn't look like there's room for a decent sized protein skimmer anywhere in that sump which would render it useless in my book.

DaveK

I will add a few points.

It may be much easier to construct a new sump, rather than modify the old one. Refer gladness has a point, better picts would be most helpful. I'd recommend picts from all angles, top, front, back and both sides. It would also help if something like a ruler was in the photo, so we can have some idea of size.

With a used system, there may be other parts of it that may need to be upgraded or replaced. Even so, you should come out a whole lot better than buying new.

Lastly, don't feel you need to get it all upgraded to your ideal system in one shot. Many things can be used to get the system going and upgraded later.

gpdno

I looks like the conversion would be fairly easy. The tank is drilled so that's a good start. I would remove the egg crate looking stuff and toss the bio balls. It looks like that would give you at least two or three chambers. The last photo showing the strainer, this is where you would plumb the return pump. It looks like there might be three baffles probable for bubble traps.

The top fitting that should sit over the bio balls is where you plumb the overflow line from the DT. I would get a LED spotlight from Home Depot and make that first side the refugium.

I doubt you have room to add a skimmer to the sump. I would consider a HOB skimmer. Reef Octopus makes a nice one, BH90 that would save you some room.

I'm sure other will chime in so take lots of pictures and ask for help. Enjoy your new tank :)

Snid

Great points by Dave and good ideas on gpdno... A hung on back Skimmer is probably your best bet.

If the egg crate sits on a ledge, you can buy some cheap filter pad and cut it to that c-chape size to rest on top. By cheap, I mean you don't have to purchase the ones at an LFS or Online Fish Supply Store; you can use certain air filters or quilt batting to save tons of moolah. Easy to clean and cheap to replace. Just do a search for DIY Filter Media to find success stories there.

Also. If you are going to plumb it with PVC, the less 90 degree angles you have the better, as they reduce water flow.

tank stalker

he6ujary.jpg
u6umymah.jpg
paba7ajy.jpg
ok do I emptied out all the bio balls and got to looking at the tank and seeing how the trickle filter works. so water goes from the overflow into that square tower which over flows into that second compartment and was supposed to trickle down over the bio balls and then flow out through the little half inch slot at the bottom then around into the return pump. now my question is how do I turn all of this into a refugium without having to do major modifications i.e. is that even possible

gpdno

Okay, a side picture might help but I'll give it a go. I would use the square tower as designed, let that be the overflow. If your lucky you might even be able to fit a filter shock on the PCV pipe as it enters that square chamber.
The water then overflows into the second compartment. I would make this your refugium. Get a nice sand layer and a nice chuck of live rock. Not sure of the size but get one or two LED spotlight bulbs from Home Depot or Lowe's. There about $30 and work very well.
From they the water overflows into the last chamber and thru the inlet screen to your return pump. Again if your lucky, you can get a skimmer to work in this final section. Look at the Reef Octopus BH-90. There are other Hang On Back skinners, but I have this one and it works well.
If you have or plan on having an ATO, I would put the float switches in this third chamber.
You will have to balance your overflow line sizes so the sump does not overflow if you turn off the return pump.
That's about it.

tank stalker

therein lies my problem in the second chamber I cannot deal with sand because there is a half inch gap about two and a half inches long at the bottom where after the water trick was over where the bio balls used to go it was slow to the bottom and out into the chamber how can I fix that or can I make that work with it going to the bottom

tank stalker

uzyjusag.jpg
see in the second chamber the water actually go to the 13th from the bottom not over the top could I just silicone something over that whole or fill in that hole to make it go over the top

gpdno

Honestly, I would just fill the void will silicone and add the sand. The chamber does not need to be water tight. It only provides a space for creatures and algae to flourish. If a little water leaks out the bottom you won't likely even notice. You might even be able to place some screen mesh down and build up a bit of blockage with rubble and shells before covering it with sand. Again, some flow thru that bottom gap will not lessen the refugium.

tank stalker

Ok cool so what about a filter will I need a canister type.....sorry so many questions but this is my first"sub tank"and as far as that the water will just over flow from tank to tank?