considering a 220 gal

nickerber

I've been a member for almost 2 years, and had a 55 gal tank for about a year before I had to move to a smaller place and take it down. My LFS guy told me about a 1/2 off sale on big tanks in August (this month) from his distributor and I'm considering a 220 tank - 72" long. It will probably take a year to get this up and running, but I'm seriously leaning toward it. I would welcome any suggestions about powerheads, lighting, how to do water changes (i.e., can I dump it into my septic?), and any other pieces of advice.

Nick

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Hi Nick,

welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members
745.gif

Start a new tank thread & share your tank with us so we can follow along - we love pics :)

Cheers for moving from lurking to posting ! Sure some members can advise on equipment, on the wc, I don't think you will have a problem there...

see what others think...

DaveK

When you are considering a new tank, you need to consider, first, what so you plan to keep in the tank? There really isn't much point to talkl about additional equipment until you figure that part out, since the livstock selection will drive the rest of the equipment selected.

Next, you need to consider the total cost of ownership. It's great your getting half off the tank price, but you'll still need the lighting and filtration, and possibly other equipment. In short the tank is one of the least expensive parts of the system.

If you have your own septic system on your own property, I would not dump SW into that system. If you have a municipal system, I don't see an issue.

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Hi and welcome to RS!!! Friendly bunch of helpful folks here, feel free to ask any questions you may have! :swmfish:

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Hi Nick :wave:
CONGRATS on your 1st Post...Hope to see many more
That's a very BIG TANK you are considering, hope you will start a thread & share your build!
Very BEST WISHES....:biker

gpdno

Hi Nick,
Sounds like a great deal. Bigger is always better IMHO ;)

With Any large size aquarium you should seriously consider an aquarium controller. I will never have another system with out my Apex running the show.

My Apex performs automatic water changes and a host of other tasks.

Not sure where you are located but I would be hesitant to discharge the water directly down your septic. I also have a septic system. In my case I actually dug a separated discharge area in my backyard for my old water. Basically dug a 6' long trench, lined it with rubble and place an 3" irrigation pipe, covered with more rubble then back filled over with dirt. So basically I created my own mini septic system just for the aquarium.

Enjoy your new tanks ;)