Tank set up...help

gpdno

The sump/refugium is your filter. Canister filters are more of a freshwater toy :)
Your primary filter will be a biological filter. The micro fauna and bacteria the live in the live rock and sand break down the waste. It takes time for this biological cycle to start working. This is referred to cycling your tank and is a period of time typically 2-3 months before you add any fish to the tank.

The main advantages to have a refugium are: 1. Increased water volume. The more water the easier it is to keep the tank stable. 2. Better algae control. By running the lights in the refugium for a longer period than the DT you provide a better environment of algae. It grows in the refugium instead of the DT. 3. More stable pH. The pH drops during the night because CO2 build-up from the creatures but no photosynthesis. By having the photoperiod of use refugium opposite the DT the tank is always processing CO2. 4. Provides a safer environment for pods (fish food) to grow.

There are more but theses are the big ones. Enjoy and ask more questions ;)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

tank stalker

Well thank you very much gpdno I know all too well about the cycling aspect of the tanks I ran my 30 gallon for 2 years before adding a fish (I was told too take it slow) lol and now I have a 65 I'm working on and this 75 that is my wife's and it is the first refugium for me....so I thank you so much for all the help and hopefully she will have pics of the mods that I do as I go

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

tank stalker

That is the reason I love this forum the people here are truly knowledgeable and don't make you feel bad for asking questions

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk