Search results

1. Matt spivey

How much live rock? Guess!? 4ft 400litre island scape

Hi I want to do 2 Islands in my tank but quite thick ones too or one island and a cove. I haven't got a clue how much rock I need or how much is currently in my 130d. It could be 10-100kg by what I've read! I don't want a huge wall and the 'rule' of whatever kg per litre sounds too much...
  2. Matt spivey

TMC 50gal per day r/o unit, is this slow? (Video)

https://vimeo.com/102917057
  3. Matt spivey

TMC v2 pure 50 RO system - assembly confusion

I've got this system here and I don't want to break anything. The instructions aren't too clear, pictures would have helped. I know how to assemble it basically and connect the lines to the right areas but I got the deionising pod with it and there are no connection instructions. There's...
  4. Matt spivey

Stocking my 130 gal reef

I'm choosing some fish now for after I move a juvenile bamboo shark to the local aquarium. I have a foxface lo (about 3 inch) Ocellaris clown (1.5 inch) Bicolour blenny (2 inch) Green chromis (1 inch) Mandarin dragonet (2inch) These are some fish I like to choose from: Lemon peel angel...
  5. Matt spivey

Anybody use Uk reef controllers?

Hi does anyone in the uk use a reef controller? In the US they have the apex and RKL think we have apex now but I don't know if I need a £550 controller. Anybody have suggestions or use ghl profilux? Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  6. Matt spivey

UK reefers, where do you get your dry sand cheap???

Everyone is telling me to get dry sand because it's cheaper than live but it's exactly the same or sometimes even more expensive. I need 40-60kg for my new 4x2x2 tank I want a 2.5 inch bed. I don't know where to find this cheap sand and if it will actually look nice, I currently have Caribseas...
  7. Matt spivey

Any shark owners here? I need info

Hi I've just bought a 120 gallon aquarium and saw a few people online that have cat sharks in their aquariums like bamboo and coral sharks. I have always wanted to breed a fish and my LFS guy and close friend has had a few mermaids purses before and hatched them. I have a "sea-life centre"...
  8. Matt spivey

Help build my tank! Setup suggestions

I'm getting a custom 4x2x2 tank with sump built soon just need to go check it out tomorrow and give the guy confirmation. So I have a blank slate. I thought it'd be good for people to suggest equipment etc for my tank. I'm absolutely set on having radions so that's sorted should I get 2 for...
  9. Matt spivey

Ecotech app how to get an account??

Downloaded the app today and it says login and password. I then went onto the ecotech site to register an account but can't find where to do it. It's currently driving me crazy so help is appreciated. I'm extremely tired so apologies if it's staring me in the face. I want to put my MP10 on...
  10. Matt spivey

Custom build vs all in one

Hi all, I'm looking at upgrading from my rsm130d in the near future. I want something not too big but bigger than my current tank. I've looked at the rsm250 (affordable, decent size for my small space) and the rsm s-400 I like these because they're all in one and neat. I also trust the brand...
  11. Matt spivey

Mandarin diner?

Hi I've been reading up on the mandarin diner but the ones they sell take up a load of space in the tank and look messy, could I use this jar and just keep adding food in there? I have 2 clowns and a chromis though they might steal the food. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  12. Matt spivey

Copepod breeding in a bucket?

My LFS guy said he put a culture in some used tank water in an old salt bucket outside in the garden without a lid on and just leaves it and they reproduce still. He told me before I bought pods off him so I wasn't having to go back and buy them weekly, were quite friendly so that was nice of...
  13. Matt spivey

Clownfish, pairing or fighting?

I have a black and white clown and your standard "nemo" percula. I think it's a perc anyway because the black outlines on the fish look slightly 'smudged' They were all loved up a few days ago not leaving each others side. The larger clownfish, the orange one, was doing the fitting thing...
  14. Matt spivey

Yet another mandarin question

Hi all, is there a thread on here anyone could point me to that is bustling with mandarin info? I had planned a long time to get one so read about training etc but I still want more information now that I have one. In the LFS I saw him eat frozen food, he even swam up to eat it as it went in...
  15. Matt spivey

Rally by ruby reef any good?

The title pretty much sums up my question ha but I've read before that their product "kick ich" is useless and it noticed you can use rally in your DT with invest and corals cos it doesn't have copper which to me means it will be ineffective 9 times out of 10. Anyone used it or recommend...
  16. Matt spivey

White worms, ID please?

Hi does anybody know what these are? Looks like a tiny white earwig. I know the pictures aren't great but these are about 2-3mm long and all over some red algae growth near my zoas, nowhere else just in the zoa corner. Might be worth mentioning my zoas aren't opening or happy at present...
  17. Matt spivey

Marine velvet - fallow tank with one fish?

Hi everyone, had a tank wipe out with oodinium recently, tried pulling a few and using cuprazin but it was too late. Others that seemed fine died eventually in the DT and I am left with one blue green chromis and it is totally fine, it has been 2 weeks now. Does this count as fallow? The...
  18. Matt spivey

Maintaining cleanliness for pristine aquarium

Hi everybody My tank is a few months old now but I'm still cleaning algae a lot of the time, most days in fact. I just wondered how people keep their tanks at tank of the month standard. I recently started using phosguard, purigen and got a new tunze 9002 skimmer. I have a decent size &amp...
  19. Matt spivey

Vortech mp10 & star fish

Hi everyone, I posted this in my reef chronicle but nobody will see it. Anybody got the two things in the title? My starfish gets dangerously close to the blades of my mp10 Should I put the mesh thing on as a precaution? The starfish has no brain does it so won't know it's dangerous to stick...
  20. Matt spivey

Anybody use Octozin with purigen or phosguard?

Hi all I got some octozin to try in my display as I don't think the fish seem diseased enough to go into a copper quarantine set up, I mean I don't want to stress them so much. They seem fine but a little bit cloudy or dotty. I think either velvet or ich but the fish are acting perfectly...