Help build my tank! Setup suggestions

Matt spivey

I'm getting a custom 4x2x2 tank with sump built soon just need to go check it out tomorrow and give the guy confirmation. So I have a blank slate.

I thought it'd be good for people to suggest equipment etc for my tank.

I'm absolutely set on having radions so that's sorted should I get 2 for a 4ft long tank?

Any other suggestions welcome, go wild.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DaveK

Before you go out and purchase any equipment at all, first figure out what you want to keep in the tank, since that will drive the equipment selection. This is extremely important. Don't even consider your selection of the Radions to be "cast in stone", because they may be better option, again dependent upon what's in the tank.

You don't need a stocking list, and a detailed aquascape plan, although some people do that, but you do need to give it some thought and come up with more than "a mixed reef with a little bit of everything".

For example, lets say you want a blue spot jawfish. That's going to require a deep sand bed. Another example, you might want an anemone. That's going to need a bit of space, and excellent light, and a well established tank. That's only a couple of examples.

Choff

Dave brings up good points, but if you are going to have coral your choice of radions is top notch.

If noise is an issue, consider a Bean animal overflow. Dead silent and as fail proof as you are going to get.

Another consideration is your sump. Figure out what you will be running and need to keep in there. What skimmer are you going to run, internal or external. Same with return pump, internal or external. Reactors? Fuge chamber? Calc reactor or dosing?

Another huge consideration is water changes. Where are you going to make your water and how are you going to get it to your DT as well as drain the DT. This is most likely a weekly chore that you want to simplify or automate as much as possible.

Power. Do you have enough circuits to handle everything? If you need a chiller you may need more than 1 circuit.

Try to envision the entire system. List out everything and make sure you have space accounted for it plus a little room for expansion.

Good luck and looking forward to seeing what you come up with!

...stupid auto correct

Matt spivey

Yeah sorry I forgot to mention the ins and outs. Basically I want a reef setup, I already have a mix of sps and Lps. The new tank will obviously have a sump too so mandarin is likely when the tank matures properly. I can always buy pods too. I'm not keen on anemones as they move about too much and I'm particular about where I want things. I have a condylactis already.

I have toyed with the thought of a blue spot they have them in my LFS, how deep a sand bed is needed? The ones in the LFS have about 2-3 inch of sand I think.

Basically I am planning my hardware at this stage I want to know recommended equipment to just get up and running and budget sorted

Matt spivey

Choff I have been looking for ideal ways to make water changes. Until I find a viable rodi unit and work out how to use it I'll be using big food safe drums and collecting from my LFS.

I am going to talk to the tank builders tomorrow and I'll answer a few of those points

I thought it'd be fun to see if everyone had a preferred 'load out' and way of running this. I may go for a 3x2x2 not a 4x2x2 even. It's at the very foundation stage here

Snid

I would also consider the following... What space is it going in? Is the cabinet custom built to the tank? What size sump will be in the cabinet (or elsewhere)? Have you planned for a QT tank (though it sounds like you may already have one)? I only mention these things because sometimes people don't see the forest beyond the tree, meaning they don't see the other two tanks (sump and QT) beyond the DT. Planning for all three can make for a visually nicer setup.

Other things to consider are wether or not the tank is pre-drilled for overflow, and where those holes are drilled. It's important to know this before the build because if they use tempered glass, you shouldn't drill the holes afterwards on your own. Many times the font/back/side glass is non-tempered, but the bottom is tempered.

Matt spivey

Space it sits in is 51.5" inches wide and 30" deep. Tank will be 48" wide and 24" deep.

Tank will be pre drilled
Sump in cabinet
I have a 130d as QT until my tank is stocked then gonna get a smaller QT tank. Overflow/weir area is inside the tank.

Some progress made today:
I think I'll go for a deltec SC1350 protein skimmer, thoughts?

I will go for an mp40 and my mp10 for flow or 2 mp40's.

I think I will have filter socks in the sump for mechanical filtration

2 radion pros are a must too

So lighting, flow, filtration are getting there and I'd like your opinions/help.

I need to decide upon a heater, return pump, RO/DI unit and a good uv steriliser for around 400L

Snid

I'd double the heater so if one fails you have a second one that kicks in (having it set for about 2 degrees cooler). I'll leave the pumps and RODI units to others with more experiences there. Personally, I'm not a big fan of a UV Sterilizer as it can kill beneficial organisms at the same time it is killing the bad ones. It does not discriminate.

Matt spivey

True, the uv suggestion was just to see if anyone would pick up on it in a positive or negative way. I could do without one as I too think they may kill BB and it seems unnatural in a way to me.

Thanks for the heater tip

DaveK

Some progress made today:
I think I'll go for a deltec SC1350 protein skimmer, thoughts?

I will go for an mp40 and my mp10 for flow or 2 mp40's.

I think I will have filter socks in the sump for mechanical filtration

2 radion pros are a must too

So lighting, flow, filtration are getting there and I'd like your opinions/help.

I need to decide upon a heater, return pump, RO/DI unit and a good uv steriliser for around 400L

My opinion of Deltec is that they are a good skimmer, but not worth the high price. I don't think you would go wrong with it, but I think other offer as good a value.

The Radions are a good choice, and in my opinion worth the extra money.

For a heater, if you want a typical aquarium grade heater, my preference is Jager. The key here is to not buy more than you need. Sizing a heater at about 2w per gallon of water is plenty, unless your keeping the tank in an unheated garage or something similar. Your tank works out to about 120 gal. I'd go with two 150W heaters. Heaters can fail in the on or off position. Failing in the on position and a large heater is a great way to cook you fish. If they fail in the off position, your tank may get down to room temp, but it's usually not going to kill everything. With the two smaller heaters, you got a lot more margin if one sticks in the on position.

For the return pump, go for top quality. It's what's keeping your system going. I prefer external pumps like Iwaki, but there are a lot of good internal pumps too. There are also some very expensive DC pumps with elaborate controllers. I don't think they are worth the extra money.

I would skip the UV unit and save your money, at least for now. These are only useful to solve very specific problems. If you really feel you need it, you can add it later.

Matt spivey

So you're saying 2 small heaters instead of 1 big one?

What return pump would you recommend? For internal I mean.

I can get a deltec skimmer for £180 and don't want to go cheap then want to upgrade I just want it right the first time. Anyone have another skimmer option?

Matt spivey

I have opted for a 4x2x2 tank
Some kind of optic something glass? It's meant to be extra clear
Deltec sc1450 skimmer
2 x Radion g3 lights
Wave line dc4000 return pump

That has all been ordered today

I've been running a Deltec SC1450 for 7 months and has been going well - is my first skimmer to be honest but easish to setup and keep going.

Let me know how you get on with your return as I am thinking of changing mine.

Two heaters are a good call as well - has saved me in the past.