Marine velvet - fallow tank with one fish?

Matt spivey

Hi everyone, had a tank wipe out with oodinium recently, tried pulling a few and using cuprazin but it was too late. Others that seemed fine died eventually in the DT and I am left with one blue green chromis and it is totally fine, it has been 2 weeks now. Does this count as fallow? The parasite clearly isn't living on this fish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LSUFireGal

I am pretty sure one fish can keep the parasite alive. Fallow means not having an available host for the parasite period. I would remove the chromis and give it a true fallow period.

Tru2nr

Matt the tank is not fallow until there are no fish in it. While a fish may not show any signs of disease it could simply mean its built up a tolerance or is "immune" however that fish still is still a carrier so when a new fish is added to the system they will find a new host. Hence why most say well I dont see ich so it must be healthy.

Sent from a magical tablet

Matt spivey

I know, I agree and I know what fallow means but I just wondered if it would work still. What if the chromis has been treated with copper since the outbreak? If I put him back in then would he just carry it again?

LSUFireGal

If you cure him and return it to the tank without leaving fallow he can provide a host for the parasite again. Copper won't keep him from catching it again.

Matt spivey

Yeah thought as much, seemed obvious but I don't know my other option, what should I do with this tiny chromis? Hmm will see what the lfs can do for me

Fishdad1

Sounds like you need a QT. You can set up a brand new ten gallon for about 35 bucks here in the colonies.

Tru2nr

I would agree pick up a 10g and use that to QT him to retreat him and leave the tank fallow

Sent from a magical tablet

Mike Johnson

Some fish do develop an immunity to velvet or ich. Larger scaled fish are less susceptible to it also. But even if the fish isn't hosting the disease for the perpetuation of the cycle two weeks is not long enough for it to die off.

Matt spivey

So a little cube, heater and air stone for gas exchange? Water changes regularly to rid ammonia, anything else? I don't have any seeded filter media left after trying to treat the first lot.

I don't understand the whole QT thing though because my fish came direct from TMC who use copper throughout there systems here so the fish was treated with copper then to my LFS who obviously hasn't got oodinium in his tank because it's fine and has been for 25 years. My tank didn't until I introduced a flame angel.

This could always be whitespot, the flame had white spots that went away and he seemed ok for 2 weeks until it found him dying on his side one day going pale and breathing heavily. I assumed oodinium because he was breathing rapidly but I lost other fish that had 1 or 2 white spots

I've never known a tiny bg chromis be able to withstand oodinium over other bigger fish though it's very weird

LSUFireGal

Your fish can still have parasites. The copper only kills them in one stage of their life cycle. I believe while they are free swimming. That is why you must treat with copper for a certain amount of time. 2 weeks I think? unless your fish spent that amount of time at the store they can still be carrying the parasite. Also most retailers dont run a full therapudic dose of copper, they run low levels to keep parasites from getting out of hand, not eliminate them. Check out the threads on how to put together a QT. I QT everything regardless of the source.

Matt spivey

Thanks for the links, I've read hours worth on these two subjects as well as oodinium. Bottom line is quarantine in future, get the tank fallow, do my time in detention and start again!

reefguy

A smart reefer told me this once... Nothing in this hobby comes quickly.

You have the right idea. QT everything and take the time to let everything start over. I hope it goes well for you and sorry about your fish loss.