Search results

1. Eck36

Lighting intensity for frag tank

I knew the question didn't have an easy answer as soon as I posted it. The corals will be coming out of the DT which is fairly intense. I just want to thin out some corals by fragging and then grow them out for trade at the LFS. The tank is long enough that I should really have 2 lights, so I...
  2. Eck36

Lighting intensity for frag tank

Starting a frag tank with a 40g breeder. I have a Reef Radiance Starfire laying around, I took it off the DT because somehow it's time got reversed (sunrise at night, moonlights during the day) but since my frag tank is in a storage room and the coral doesn't care what time it is I figured it...
  3. Eck36

use old tank to start new one?

Thanks for the help. It's going to be a small reef tank, not much in the way of livestock, mainly corals. Still going to take it slow before anything is added.
  4. Eck36

use old tank to start new one?

My daughter wants to start her own reef tank and I was wondering if using some LR and water out of my tank would make the tank easier to start. I nay be way off, but would I be able to skip the cycling process this way? I could fill the new tank from my tank when I do a water change and then...
  5. Eck36

Don't think it's aiptasia

Thanks for the help. At least they are all isolated to 1 small rock, so I should be able to contain the issue.
  6. Eck36

Don't think it's aiptasia

I have had this coral about 6 months (it came attached to the rock). About 2 months ago I noticed something at the base. I've been keeping an eye on them, and finally they got big enough to get a decent photo. Any time I have had aiptasia, it has a stalk like base, these don't. I need to...
  7. Eck36

LED mounting help

Need some advice please. I have 2 Starfires on the way from Reef radiance and I need some advice on how to mount them on my tank. I have a 93g frameless cube, so the standard mounting brackets won't work. I don't want to hang these from the ceiling, so if anyone has recommendations for a DIY...
  8. Eck36

Start up help

Thinking about going with a pipefish setup in my 29g cube. Water is cycled and waiting for me to make up my mind. I want to add a 10g fuge to grow pods and add volume, any suggestions on how to do an overflow on a biocube? If I get real brave, I might add a pair of seahorses. I'm testing the...
  9. Eck36

29g biocube take 2

Help please. I am going to do a display sump with this tank. I have an eshoppes nano skimmer already to go, what is the best way to pull water out of the tank to the sump? Should I pump it out? I don't see a good way to hang something on a biocube. I really want to use a sump on this setup...
  10. Eck36

29g biocube take 2

cycle almost done!!
  11. Eck36

29g biocube take 2

First setback already. Had to move it out of the bedroom, too noisy. Now its in the basement across the room from the 93g. Refilled and shrimp is in, added a piece of LR from the big tank.
  12. Eck36

29g biocube take 2

After running my 29g for 18 months, I tore it down. It was over run with GHA and I was focusing on my new 93g cube. Well the 93 is running strong and I needed a new place to throw money away, so my wife suggested brining the 29 back to life in a new location. The GHA was a result of lots of...
  13. Eck36

RicordiaQuestion

3 separate Ricordia. The one on the right is all puffed up, you can't see it in this pic but the one on the back left has a couple that are puffy also.
  14. Eck36

RicordiaQuestion

Has anyone seen a ricordia do this? It was at the LFS and the owner had never seen it before either
  15. Eck36

Full-Tank Friday!

What size cube do you have? I'm running a 93g, and I love it
  16. Eck36

Full-Tank Friday!

View from above with no lights and no pumps. You can see the front half at least.
  17. Eck36

93g cube for x-mas

The lights are Mars Aqua 165w LED. Bought them from a guy in town. I found them online for about $125 each. I don't think the spectrum is quite right, but it is good enough to get me through until I can afford AIs. My corals are growing and I haven't had any nuisance algae yet, so I'm not...
  18. Eck36

93g cube for x-mas

Now that I'm back in business, I finally have my yellow watchman goby/pistol shrimp. I love watching the goby, the frown is awesome. Need some help though, I am tearing down my 29g. I'm going to make that a hospital/QT tank and my daughter is going to use my 20g long (current hosp./QT) for...
  19. Eck36

Starting over, sort of

I did have a couple chitons I bought from reef cleaners. They did great for about a week, now I don't know where they are.
  20. Eck36

Starting over, sort of

Follow up question- why get rid of the LR in the fuge? I have it in my fuge for the 93G. I thought the point of LR was for surface area for bacteria. To clarify, by rubble I meant LR chunks that were under 2" and didn't look right in the DT, it isn't rock crumbs.