Search results

1. C

Silly Question--Heater Suction Cups

I have an Aquatop heater in my 40 breeder, and I can't get the sensor suction cup to hold for more than one day. Any tips/tricks on how I can get the suction cup to stay in place for more than one day (short of using super glue)? Thanks! C.
  2. C

Starting Over--Brown Growth on New Sand

Hi Folks! After finally getting control of my algae problem after one year (my LFS was selling RO water with 0.34 phosphates!), I decided to start over. Scrubbed my old rock, put new sand in my 40 breeder, added some new rock, and now have water with 0.00 phosphates. Am thinking of adding...
  3. C

What's With My Mag-Float?

So for the last three or so days when I go to use my Mag-Float to clean my glass, the half on the outside of the tank is leaving all sorts of smudges that look like smeared finger-prints. I have cleaned the Mag-Float, left it wet, dried it off and tried it, and I still get the same result--all...
  4. C

Salt Dilemma?

I don't have the exact numbers as they appear on the bucket in front of me at the moment, but it appears that the Red Sea Coral Pro salt mix might cause an issue in my 40 breeder. I have figured out the proper amount of salt per gallon to mix in order to get a SG of 1.026, but according to what...
  5. C

Please Help a Numerically Challenged Soul....

With the Hanna Alkalinity checker that reads 120 ppm, what would I multiply that number by the get my dkH reading? Thanks! C.
  6. C

Best Way To Lower High dkH...

...would be partial water changes, right? How often? C.
  7. C

STILL Low Mg....

I've only had the Kent Mg supplement since Friday, and I've been dosing with it for only two days, but my Mg is still only 1150. AND my dkh is down to 8, and my calcium is down to 400. I have also done water changes. Could it be that my new salt (RSCP) is mucking things up? I don't really...
  8. C

New Salt Mix Question

I just got my Red Sea Coral Pro salt mix from Marine Depot (the box was beaten to s@#t but the salt and the Kent Mg supplement I ordered arrived in good shape) and I have a question. How much of it should I mix in one gallon of RO water? The bucket in which the salt is packed says go with...
  9. C

Just Got a New Wave Maker

Guys, I just got a new wave maker (Jebao WP 25) and have a question before I place it in my 40 breeder. I currently have two Hydor water movement pumps in my tank--both on the back, one on the lower left glass, the other on the upper right glass. When I install the wave maker (I will...
  10. C

Low Mg

My Mg measures at 1100. Any good ways to raise it? Thanks, C.
  11. C

First Nem

Within the next few months, I think I'm going to get a nem for my reef tank (and a clown, too). What nem might be a best first choice? An RBTA? Thanks! C.
  12. C

Scoly Question

I saw a nice red scoly for sale at the LFS today. I noticed something, though: there were two little bubble-like bulges on the scoly's meaty part. I asked the lady at the store about them, but she knew little. Are such "bubbles" normal? Thanks! C. PS The guy who knows about corals...
  13. C

Favia Problem

A christmas favia has developed a milky, fuzzy, scummy substance covering half of it. The green tissue is half gone and most of the red polyps have turned white. I tried blowing the stuff off with a turkey baster but all that does it spread the stuff throughout the tank. I'm gonna pull it out of...
  14. C

Acro Bleaching

The causes for acropora bleaching? Too much light? Too little light? Temp? Flow? I'd appreciate your insights. C.
  15. C

ELOS Test Kits...

Are they any good? I need one to test KH and I want one that is simple (like me) and accurate. From what I've seen on-line this one looks pretty straight-forward. Thanks! C.
  16. C

Bone Head Move....

Well, I'm glad my friend did not stick around long enough to see me make what seems like a really dumb move. A friend of mine--who has been keeping reef tanks for about 25 years--stopped by my house with his wife as they were passing through town. He gave me some advice on the tank, and then...
  17. C

Hammer Coral Adventure--Continued

Hello, Folks, I've been away for a bit but I thought I'd add another chapter to my hammer coral adventure. A few of you might recall that I lost a very nice (and very expensive) wall hammer a while back. Perhaps you also recall that before I lost that coral I had another hammer that...
  18. C

Conflicting Advice

It's funny, but the more I read about this hobby the more I see blatantly contradictory advice from certain vendors (no need to mention names as I'm not really trying to suggest that any of them are trying to mislead us). For example, let's take the example of clean-up crew snails and how to...
  19. C

Acclimation

Guys, I recently purchased a snail clean-up crew from Reef Cleaners (it will be here today) and I noticed their instructions for acclimating (float for 15 minutes) my new arrivals. I read it with interest and it makes sense to me. Is "drip acclimation" sort of falling out of favor? Would...
  20. C

Feeding Acans

Short and sweet: should I feed my red acan some mysis shrimp from time to time (and should I use a medicine dropper?)? If so, how often should I feed it? Thanks! C.