Search results

1. D

Are there any replacement skimmers for the 250?

My skimmer pump, has died again. Sigh... I looked at old posts and they recommended the Deltec model. Apparently that is discontinued and no longer available. I guess I could get a new pump, but I don't love the design on this skimmer and it really doesn't do that good of a job in my...
  2. D

How do you guys get rid of nuisance corals?

I've got some paly's that are running wild in my tank and are starting to grow into other colonies and choke them out. I've tried aptaisa X, but there's always a little collateral damage as it's hard to be precise with it. Any other ideas?
  3. D

Clean those sponges more than you think you should...

My tank has been up for quite some time now. And it's been running great. Not a stitch of hair algae or otherwise. I rarely clean the glass and when I do it's usually just to get rid of the coraline. I run the large black sponge on pump 1 as my mechanical filtration. Pump 2 sponge was...
  4. D

Adjusting skimmer output? Better results with neck height or airflow?

I thought I had this thing figured out. Apparently I don't. Up to this point, I've kept the neck at max height and adjust air flow. However, I'm not getting good results. It's either mudding up the neck or pumping out clearish water. Should I try leaving the air flow alone and just...
  5. D

How often do you guys adjust your skimmers?

When I had a standard skimmer in a sump, I rarely adjusted it. In my 250, I find I need to tweak a little bit either way every other day or so. Not a lot... Literally a mm in either direction on the air control valve makes a huge difference with the stock skimmer. I run an ATO to keep...
  6. D

Bulb Color Order in a 250?

I did another bulb change last weekend. Should we have these in any particular order? I'm running ATI bulbs and I'm using two 15k's, 2 blues, a purple plus, an actinic. Does it matter in what order, front to back? Should the same color bulbs be paired together or separated? Dumb...
  7. D

To sponge or not to sponge... That is the question.

Are you guys using the foam block. I was, then I wasn't. Then I went back after remembering how much crap they pull out. My LFS says to clean them in your dirty water change water. But wouldn't that start a nitrate factory? So confused, thoughts? I ran into a weird problem lately...
  8. D

Why is the RSM main return pump so powerful?

I left the hobby for a while. Used to have a large SPS tank. Now I'm back with the RSM250 which I've had running for around 8 months. Typically we were looking for a DT to sump turnover rate of 3-4 the tank volume per hour. One, you get less microbubbles. Two, you get more contact time in...
  9. D

Any ideas on how to throttle back main pump on a RSM 250?

I'm adding Vortech's and would rather control flow with them. My main pump is jamming at probably 1200 gph. Too much. I'm wondering if I have the correct pump in there as it seems way too strong. I'd like to turn it down and turn the Vortech's up. Ideally I'd be shooting for 10x an hour...
  10. D

To those using dosing pumps on a RS250, may I see some pics of your setup?

And get details of what you're using. I'm finally to the point where I think I'm going to need to start using additives. The tank is maturing and starting to goggle up CA and ALK. I'd like to find out more about what RSM250 owners are doing, as I'd like to duplicate a successful setup...
  11. D

Anyone using Vortech pumps on their 250?

Considering adding a pair to my RSM250. There's two sizes that would work. The bigger one seems like overkill and the smaller one looks like it might not be enough. I'm curious if anyone else is using them and what works.
  12. D

Do you remove all sponges and filters when feeding the tank?

Just curious. I always turn off the skimmer, but should we be taking out the filter sponges and floss when feeding the corals? Seems like a waste to leave them as I imagine if you leave both pumps on a lot of the food would get trapped in the media if you don't take it out.
  13. D

Unexplained rapid fish loss.... Help.

Unexplained fish loss.... Anyone else run into this? I've lost 5 in 2 weeks. I think another is missing now as well so that makes 6. Tank parameters are steady. Corals look good. I put a multi meter on the tank to make sure there was no stray current from a bad pump...
  14. D

Has anyone found a way to run w/out the factory hood and it not look like crap?

I'd love to ditch the whole factory hood. It looks nice but is a pain to work with. Limited openings and difficulty running probes etc in and out. Automatic feeders and hanging LED's are out of the question... Has anyone developed anything that would cosmetically tidy up the back of the top...
  15. D

Are there a way to split the return nozzles flow?

The RS returns are not the standard flex hose size. Is there a source for a y connector and extension pieces that would fit over the existing return nozzle? Or even better, one of those rotating return nozzles thats powered by the water flow would be great too.
  16. D

Bulb changes....

Can you do all the T5's at once? Will it shock the corals? I've got a RSM250 and I'm too lazy to do 2 at a time every few months :)
  17. D

Accessory fan won't power up on RSM250. What should I be checking?

It just stopped working. Right around the same time I had ballast 3 go out. Replaced the ballast and the lights are working again. However, the accessory cooling fan on the back is not. I had another local RSM owner test it on his and it works fine. What should be checking? I'm dreading...
  18. D

How do you remove the canopy from a RSM250?

I see a couple pins in the back which look like you can just slide them out. But how do you get the brackets that prop the canopy apart? I've googled it, but can't find a damn thing online.
  19. D

Accessory Water Cooling Fans.... Gimmick?

They came with my tank and they just stopped working the other day. No idea why. One of my ballasts just went out too. Hopefully not related and just a coincidence. I dropped the unit (twin fan for my 250) off at my LFS to test on them on his personal tank at home to make sure it's not a...