Any ideas on how to throttle back main pump on a RSM 250?

I'm adding Vortech's and would rather control flow with them. My main pump is jamming at probably 1200 gph. Too much. I'm wondering if I have the correct pump in there as it seems way too strong.

I'd like to turn it down and turn the Vortech's up. Ideally I'd be shooting for 10x an hour turnover or 700-800gph.

The Red Sea return line lock is not standard or I would put a Y connector on it and route half down behind the rock work which would slow the flow down considerably.

Any ideas?

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
I really don't think the flow on the stock RSM pumps are adjustable. I felt like the pump on the left was too strong shooting straight against the front glass & disrupting the sand bed on that side.
I added an Innovative Marine Spin-Stream to the return nozzle and it helped to diversify the flow. I like the fact that it also ripple the top of the water as it spins around.
Here is the review thread for it: http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/red-sea-max-owners-club/86850-spin-stream-rsm-250-a.html
You could also replace your pumps with any of the Eheim compact pumps (they will fit in the back of the RSM 250 and they have adjustable flow. I honestly don't know what the flow rates are tho. :dunno: