Adjusting skimmer output? Better results with neck height or airflow?

I thought I had this thing figured out. Apparently I don't.

Up to this point, I've kept the neck at max height and adjust air flow. However, I'm not getting good results.

It's either mudding up the neck or pumping out clearish water.

Should I try leaving the air flow alone and just dialing the neck down?

Mark9

Has been struck by the ban stick
For what it's worth, I put my neck down as low as i could, trying to get a "wet" skim.
I started the air flow low, then slowly, and I mean slowly (over days) worked the airflow to where I wanted it, which is probably around 30% or so?
Still, it's something you're going to have to work on, dependent on gate height, water level, flow, etc.
It may take weeks to get it where you want it, like it did for me.
I have never adjusted it since.

Have you read the RSM tips thread? I can find it if you haven't.

I did read the tips thread. I run my water level somewhat high in the back sump, and the gate position to where the water level is just high enough to be above the black trim.

I've been running this setup for well over a year. Can't seem to get this skimmer right. However, I've done very little to mess with the neck height, so dropping it down will be my next step I guess.

Mark9

My neck gets alot of mud as well, but I also get some very foul skimate in the cup that I tend to clean out every 5 days or so.
Since it takes only a few minutes to clean the cup, I tend to do it often.
I'd be curious to hear if other folks necks are mudding over as well.

thedru13

I have mine all the way up.. I get a good dry skim that way. I do get the mudding as well. I clean it once a week cause it does smell pretty foul. I noticed that if I feed less the odor isn't as bad.. I keep my water level at the 3rd tick down from the top. Seems to be the sweet spot for my skimmer. I also have my ATO set so it doesn't dip below that.

I have mine all the way up.. I get a good dry skim that way. I do get the mudding as well. I clean it once a week cause it does smell pretty foul. I noticed that if I feed less the odor isn't as bad.. I keep my water level at the 3rd tick down from the top. Seems to be the sweet spot for my skimmer. I also have my ATO set so it doesn't dip below that.

How much wet skimmate do you get in the collection cup using that method? What I find w the neck all the way is that the neck fills with mud and I get very little wet skimmate in the collection cup.

thedru13

How much wet skimmate do you get in the collection cup using that method? What I find w the neck all the way is that the neck fills with mud and I get very little wet skimmate in the collection cup.
I get about 1/4 or less collected in the collection cup. I get more in the neck for sure but this seems to be more effective for me keeping the skimmer skimming.

Danreef

Also is very important the air intake adjustment. I left at Max opening the skimmer air valve and added an air valve in the tubing that allowed me to do a better adjustment of the air intake.

I am talking of my RSM 250 skimmer.

pablomay28

The problem is definately the stock air valve. The skimmer works perfect once you use another valve. The one i put on mine takes 1/4 turns to be able to notice a difference. The stock air valve is to difficult to get right. I also get a lot of gunk on the neck and about 1/4 full on the cup.

blackbeltmom

PREMIUM
I have mine at the height Red Sea recommends. I like a dry skim, so I get all the crud(I am guessing, what you are referring to as mudding) in the neck and do not have to empty the skimmer cup very often. Because the thumb screw on the air valve is so hard to adjust, I opened the air valve on the skimmer all the way and then inserted a plastic adjustable air valve into the airline close to where it comes off the skimmer. This makes adjusting the air flow, so much easier.

pablomay28

Funny i use the same air valves. I love how such a cheap piece of plastic makes the skimmer work so well.

pablomay28

First thing bypass the stock air valve.

Second install cheap ordered or LFS air valve and if possible run air intake hose outside of the house. I have mine go out the corner of the window to keep constant Ph.

Third keep water level constant via manual or automatic top off.

With these air valves you can adjust by 1/4 turns instead of the faulty stock air valve where the slightest movement of the knob makes a big difference.

End result.

Hope this helps. Good luck!!!!

blackbeltmom

PREMIUM
I had an extremely hard time turning the stock valve. I had to use pliers, so that was why I installed the new valve. I didn't bypass the stock valve though, I opened it up as far as it would go and installed the new valve in the tubing coming off it.
Pablomay28, I noticed that you also removed the other piece of tubing, that I think is some sort of venting. I though about removing it, but noticed that air comes out of that piece of tubing. After I discovered air coming out of it, I left the tubing.

pablomay28

I didnt remove the tubing. The tube that comes out of the skimmer cup actually is the intake. I actually joined the hoses with the blue air valve then routed the hose out to my window

blackbeltmom

PREMIUM
I didnt remove the tubing. The tube that comes out of the skimmer cup actually is the intake. I actually joined the hoses with the blue air valve then routed the hose out to my window

Not sure I understand exactly what you mean, when you say you joined it?

pablomay28

Not sure I understand exactly what you mean, when you say you joined it?

The tube from the skimmer goes to the male end of the stock air valve and the other tube goes in to the hole by the skimmer cover. All I did was join the 2 hoses like you see in the picture.

Where did you find the valve that fits the stock skimmer hose? The ones at my LFS are quite small and designed for airline tubing? Hence a loose a fit.

Even if I zip tied it, I found it was really really noisy. The little compartment on the side of the skimmer where the air is drawn in does a great job of quieting it down.

pablomay28

Where did you find the valve that fits the stock skimmer hose? The ones at my LFS are quite small and designed for airline tubing? Hence a loose a fit.

Even if I zip tied it, I found it was really really noisy. The little compartment on the side of the skimmer where the air is drawn in does a great job of quieting it down.

The air valve is smaller that is why I cut air tubing and put it on the air valve then slipped on the rubber tubes from the RSM 250 and it makes a tight fit.

Mark9

The tube from the skimmer goes to the male end of the stock air valve and the other tube goes in to the hole by the skimmer cover. All I did was join the 2 hoses like you see in the picture.

I get what you did, but the "valve" you bypassed is not just a valve, the chamber is a silencer.
Do you have any increased noise with the bypass?
blackbeltmom's method of just turning the RMS valve wide open and adding the valve still uses the silencer, and would seem better.

Ah, reading further, I see you routed it out the window.
You probably wouldn't notice any noise increase.
I don't have a window near, so blackbeltmom's method would be preferred.

I get what you did, but the "valve" you bypassed is not just a valve, the chamber is a silencer.
Do you have any increased noise with the bypass?
blackbeltmom's method of just turning the RMS valve wide open and adding the valve still uses the silencer, and would seem better.

Ah, reading further, I see you routed it out the window.
You probably wouldn't notice any noise increase.
I don't have a window near, so blackbeltmom's method would be preferred.

It's still noisy. There's a ton of suction noise at the aftermarket valve. I tried that. Sounds like you're in the dentist chair :)