Search results

1. slfcaptain

Redoing rock work with mostly new rock

Well I finally decided that I won't be able to get the look I want with the rock I have in the tank. Honestly I hate my current rockscape. I am thinking of curing and cycling a batch of fresh dry rock to replace the rock I have. I would keep a small amount of the rock that I currently have. If...
  2. slfcaptain

Help with doser

I bought a Jabeo doser and I am having problems with the lines draining back into the reservoir. This is the second unit that I have received, the first one was sent back for the same reason. Before I send this one back I want to make sure that I have done everything that I can to make it work...
  3. slfcaptain

Jebao doser

I just got a jebao doser and set it up this weekend. I was looking over all the tubes today and there is air in them. I did prime the tubes when I set it up. Looks like the solutions are draining back down into the containers. Do I have to put a check valve on the lines or do I have a...
  4. slfcaptain

Clash of Clans

I made the mistake of starting to play clash of clans. I realize now it was a huge mistake but now I am addicted and can't stop. Does anyone else play this insidious game? steve
  5. slfcaptain

Blue sympodium

Does any here have it? I am thinking about buying some and looking for some first hand knowledge, specifically how fast it grows. I've seen accounts ranging from slow to fast (just not as fast as xenia). Dont know what to believe. Thanks steve
  6. slfcaptain

Sick acan

For the past few weeks my acans have not been looking great. I thought maybe they needed to be fed more so fed more often, 3 times a weeks. No change. Today I moved it to a spot where I could get a good photo and this is what I see. Looks like worms are on it. Anyone know what is going on...
  7. slfcaptain

Snail on my snail

Anyone know what this white snail like thing is on my dwarf ceriths? steve
  8. slfcaptain

You know what makes me mad...

Spending an afternoon cleaning the tank and then when you are trying to wind down at night by tank watching you see the spot on the glass you missed when cleaning. Add your own... steve
  9. slfcaptain

Spaghetti worm?

Could this be a spaghetti worm? Unfortunately part of him is be low the trim of the tank and I can't see it. I am seeing all kinds of new stuff lately. steve
  10. slfcaptain

Rsm 130d stock heater submersible?

Is it safe to let the water level go above the red knob on the heater? steve
  11. slfcaptain

Macro Algae ID

I have a few sprouts of this green macro algae on a piece of rock. The closest match I could find is Caulerpa serrulata from http://www.marineplantbook.com/marinebookserrulata.htm . The pieces in my tank don't have stalks like in the picture at marineplantbook, mine just sprouts from a...
  12. slfcaptain

Jebao wave makers (wp 10 and wp 25) in RSM 130

I am thinking about trying in of these power heads. The price is hard to beat and I am willing to give them a try. Has anyone tried one of these in an RSM 130? Which one would be a better fit? steve
  13. slfcaptain

tunze turbelle nanostream 6045 lenght?

Does anyone have the length of the wet side of the 6045? Tunze's site list the diameter but not the length and I would really like to know. Thanks,
  14. slfcaptain

Turkey basters

I would like to have a long turkey baster with a bent tip for blowing detrius off rock. I have a few spots that are tough for me to get to even with my arm in the tank. Anyone kniw where I can buy some or the supplies to make one? Thanks steve
  15. slfcaptain

Power outage

My power is out and we are expected to get more freezing rain this morning. steve
  16. slfcaptain

Kalkwasser dosing with tunze 3155

Is anyone using their tunze 3155 to top off with kalkwasser? Do you have any issues like it adding too much too fast? steve
  17. slfcaptain

Cyano control via nitrate dosing

My RSM 130 has been set up since April 2013 and since July 2013 I have had a constant case of cyano. In attempt to control it I have tried heavy nutrient export (though I have a lightly stocked tank) by wet skimming, purigen, GFO, and regular water changes, blasting the cyano and sucking it out...
  18. slfcaptain

Possum wrasse

I want one more fish for my RSM 130 to go along with my green clown go by, cardinal, and blue chromis. I want a fish that will swim out in the open or hunt around the rocks. Something active to watch. I am thinking about a possum wrasse and want some input. I saw some references stating that...
  19. slfcaptain

Something new under the sand

During my morning inspection I found this thing up against the glass. I can't tell if its a snail but the snails usually are clinging to the glass and this thing isn't. Like to hear some other opinions. It does react when you shine a light on it, it flinches. Curiously, I am not seeing...
  20. slfcaptain

Anyone tried IPSF sand?

Has anyone bought this http://www.ipsf.com/livesand.html I saw this and am curious about it. Any first hand info out there? steve